Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be starting my adventure into beekeeping soon, my packages are due May 10th. My plan is to use all eight frame medium equipment and Mann Lake PF 120 small cell frames. I will start with two hives and see where it goes. I have read a couple books and Michael Bushs website and my inclination is to attempt beekeeping without chemicals. My hives will be in Milford Michigan on acreage however I spend January to mid April in Florida so I may have support issues going into spring, we will honey up and see what happens. I just joined the forum today but have been a viewer for quite a while. I will occasionaly report on my progress so that others may benefit from my journey. Thank you all for being here.

Mike Kurzava

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome Mike,

I too use all 8 frame mediums w/small cell bees. I love them. Wish you the best, but be warned; this thing is addictive! :banana:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a sister-in-law that lives off of Hickory Ridge just North of the GM proving grounds. We get down there from time to time, so i might be able to assist some in the spring while you're away. If nothing else, I'm sure i could swing by while i'm in the area and let you know if they're alive or not. I'll be down that way in a month or so setting up swarm traps. Good luck with the bees. I was pretty sure that 2 hives were enough, and ended the season with 6. this year i plan to end the season with 20. This is a fairly addictive hobby.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kpeacock, Generous of you to offer, however I did not mean to imply that nobody is there when I leave, there is and a beekeeper lives three doors away and he will check on them. I meant I won’t be there to support my project. I intend to try to keep a log and maintain various data on the hives and there will be a hole in the data. When I salmon fished I logged lure colors, depth, speed at the lure, that sort of thing. I measure rainfall in my garden. I am not as weird as I sound. I hope to be able to add to the debate with information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts