Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bill writes:

"Hello everyone. My name is Bill and I am looking forward to bee keeping. I need to find some good plans to build my own langstroth style bee hive."

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi bill, and welcome to beesource!

you tried to post your intro to a thread that isn't taking new posts, so i started this one for you.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Hi Bill. Hope you find your re-posted thread. If you PM me your address, I will send you a copy of the cut sheets and building instructions I use to build components that mimic what Brushy Mountain used to sell. Bottom boards, inner covers, tops, and robber screens can be made for pennies on the dollar compared to purchasing. Unless you have a real inexpensive source for 1 x 12s, you do not save much by building the hive bodies yourself. At least out of white pine. Advantech is good for the bodies and is much less expensive per box but it is very heavy. There are economies of scale involved and buying materials to build a single hive probably wont work out too well since you will have a lot of leftover material.

Last week I turned 5-1x8x8's and a sheet of 3/8" plywood into 13 screened bottom boards and 8 telescoping tops. Total cost of materials was about $140. Bought the bodies from Mann Lake and still need to make the inner covers and robber screens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts