Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I’m super new to beekeeping and I built myself 2 KTBH I’ve had one hive for maybe a month and the 2nd for maybe 2 weeks. They where both Lang nucs and that’s were the fun started! Lol so in both hives I ran the Lang frames the wrong way in my hive with each ear resting on a support bar. I placed empty top bars between the Lang frames so they would get drawn out. After I had 4-5 partially drawn bars I placed a queen excluder on the end of the lang frames with the queen behind it and gave the top bars. It’s working great in my 1st hive and I can probably pull the Lang frames in a few days. The 2nd hive is another story though as some how the queen found a way through the excluder and started laying in the Lang frames again. So I pulled the excluder and put my top bars in the front of the hive and placed the Lang frames behind them upside down on the floor of the hive. I was told the brood would still be cared for and would hatch and the queen would not lay in it because the cells were upside down. I did take a bar of brood from my other hive and placed it 2nd bar back from the front. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And Thanks for the add, Mike 4A7196A2-96DB-41F6-8C00-7A019D432FEB.jpg 16045575-E1E7-4AD8-8AA5-AD26CF55583C.jpg 711775CF-8E03-4640-BD54-6A19DBE3F79D.jpg 85C31036-4969-41E2-AA91-A220779BF786.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for pointing that out… it might save me a couple of WTF!!lol
It’s a small TBH forum world!
Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bet this went much smoother than my crop and chop method. I lost a lot of brood that way and it took my bees a while to recover. I doubt I ever do that again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on monitoring it few days through the window, of course I can only see one side of one frame. If and when I see that side hatch I’ll open it up and check on the rest of them. I will put updates on this post.
I think I should of built a box just big enough to hold those frames and sit it all in the hive. My worry now is all the open space above and around those frames. It looks like they may be trying to build comb on the bars above them to fill in the space.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was able to put the pieces of frames that I cut off back into the hive similar to the way you did it to allow some of the brood to hatch. It went well and was able to take those pieces out after about a week. Hope yours goes well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts