Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started keeping bees in my city backyard (got my bees 5 days ago). I've wanted to keep bees since 1991, but the time was never right. When the extension service offered a beekeeping course (for $20, including lunch--can't beat that!) last year I took the class, and this year I'm making it happen. I'm a stay-at-home mom, I've got five daughters, a female dog--might as well have several thousand more girls about the place.

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, just down the highway apiece from Michael Bush. Someday I will pilgrimage to his farms. . . .

So last Friday I picked up my package and hived it. It went okay, but I know I could've done better. I spent the evening wondering why I set out on this adventure, sure that my bees were doomed.

As I've watched the bees scoot in and out of the hive I'm feeling more of my initial excitement. And spending spare moments by the hive watching the girls arrive with baskets full of pollen has been bliss.

I'm still anxious, but that's normal newbee nerves, right? (Right?)

Thank you for welcoming me into your community. I love lurking here, and look forward to benefiting from your wisdom as I learn by doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts