Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to beekeeping, starting my first hive April 2014. I built a Warre hive with 3 boxes. When I installed the package, I only had 2 boxes, and put a feeder inside an empty box on top. I only left the feeder on for about 1 month. I removed the feeder box, and then after another month added the 3rd box to the bottom.
I have a question about when to harvest honey. Should I do it at all the first year?:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome!! Great site here with lots of knowledge and opinions! If the bees have filled and capped any complete frames by all means take the honey. Hopefully you will still have flows coming in the next 2 months to keep for fall/winter.
It is such a great feeling even to get a quart off your 1st hive the 1st year so I highly recommend taking a small amount!
Just keep up with inspections and manipulating frames when needed.

Good luck and welcome to the bees !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you read Beekeeping for All?

Warre recommends taking off full honey boxes and stopping when you get the first box with brood in it. Or a minimum of 2 boxes. He also gives some weights for stores for overwintering successfully in his area, as well as a method of estimating what the stores in the hive are.

I think If I were in Eugene (I lived in Waterloo for 3 years, so know a little about the climate), I would, as long as the bottom two boxes were fairly heavy to lift, take the top.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome from NE KS! I'm new and only have Langstroth hives, but Top Bar and Warre are interesting to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You run a huge starvation risk taking from a first year hive in your area. I would leave it and if your bees make it, take honey in May with the maple bloom or better yet, let them use it to build for summer flow.

I don't want to rain on your parade but live just NW of Corvallis. With that geography info, do with the info what you will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts