Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new Maxant 1400 PL from a shop in Portland OR (no sales tax or shipping) and I am so excited to use it. It kind of has a story behind it.

Two weeks ago I called and taked with Theodore Maxant. I was teetering between the 9 frame 3100 or the 20 Frame 1400. He told me that I would be really happy with the 1400PL and the 3100 I would outgrow next year. I have 15 supers this year probably but, next year I have 60 hives coming out of the winter so I could have a huge number of supers. So the 1400 was decided. I asked him about shipping and he told me that he had just shipped some to Ruhl Bee supply in Portaged. Turns out I needed to make a trip to PLT anyway. Called Ruhl and spoke with a lady and she said they had plenty of them but, did not take Amex. Yuck only card that had money left on it.

So I talked my wife but cash was tight this month cards are full so really no way to get it. On the way down to OR I was driving my highlander much smaller then my Tundra that would hold the 1400 no problem. But since I could not afford it does not matter. I decided to call the credit card company and talked them into letting me spend 1500 on the card. I was so excited I called Ruhl and they told me that they did not have any. I was crushed could not believe they sold all 3 of them over the weekend. Man what a bad break. He said they would be getting more in though. Hung up and could not believe that I had figured out a way to buy it and they sold out.

Called Ruhl again and said I willl be in town until wed so if they come in I want one. The girl that answered was the girl I talked with the first time and she said why do you want to wait we have them. I was so happy. But, now I needed to figure out if it would fit in the car. I asked her to tell me the measurements of the box. It was 38x33x31. Did not have a tape measure. But, I took a piece of Dental floss and marked out 1 inch measurements. Looks good I have 32 hash marks. So it is going to be close.

Well made it to Ruhl and tried to put it in. Did not fit seems my hash marks were not correct. Darn. All paid for and did not fit. Then we turned it and that side was smaller and it side in, Tight fit. just barely it is really 31.5 and the car is 32. Slid in and then it hit the fold of the seats. Geez. What next. Had to open the box and make it the edge collapse a bit to get it in. OK it is all in and the car is full. Just room for our suit cases and computer bags and that is all. The 600 mile trip was over and we were home.

Now it is time to set it up. It comes all put together but, had to add the legs. Since I paid an extra 100 bucks for them bolted them on. I then rinsed it out with water and cut a triangle piece of 3/4 ply to bolt the legs to. Went to HD and got some locking wheels that I will bolt to the plywood ($50). This way it is easily movable and can lock in place while using it. It also added another 6 inches so the honey gate is farther above the bucket.

Tomorrow comes the extraction. Wooo hooo.:D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Congrats on your new 1400! It is a pure workhorse! RUHL is a great company to deal with. I am glad you were able to save on the shipping and buy from them.
For the record, the box is 32x32x38.
We have loaded those in tiny tiny cars, they just have to be taken out of the box to do so.
Please call us should you have any questions on how to use it!
Enjoy, and thanks for supporting American Manufacturing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
A great extractor! I used mine several times with great sucess. Its not bolted down and dosen't walk at all. Extracts fresh foundationless frames like nobodys business. I really like the speed control.:thumbsup:

Eddie

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my new 1400PL about 1 month ago from kelly bees I extracted 7 gallons of honey yesterday! Was lots of fun worked great! You will love it!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So when it is spinning is the gate open to the bucket or closed? Does not seem like there is a lot of room for fluids below the frames. I guess there is enough for each spin. Just currious.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Just don't do like one of the club member did. They got a new extractor. Tralved over 600 mile to pick it up got home about midnite. They set it up in there living room an when to work spinning out some frames. They just about killed me with me laughing. :D
David

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just don't do like one of the club member did. ..... They just about killed me with me laughing. :D
David
OK. I won't. But, we finished installing the legs and wheels at about 1am. Then took it for a test drive. Seems to be too cold last night in my Dining room and not much spun out. :)

BTW. It was 605 miles for me and I am going to Expense the miles to my day job since I did visit customers along the way. At .55 a mile it will help pay for the extractor :banana:

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK We figured it out. We moved it to the Living room and the evening sun on the windows heated up the unit enough for the honey to spin out better. We got 8 Quarts out of 6 frames. Whoo Hooo. That works out to about 187 dollars a quart. Hopefully I can amortize it over a few years. ;) The extractor is sitting right next to my 60 wide-screen. Kind of blocking one of the speakers though.

Lets see some pictures of that bad boy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've also rececently purchased the 1400pl and the 1200jr cappings spinner and I agree it's a nice unit. I just only wish the gate was lower to the bottom like the jr. spinners. It's like squeezing out the last bit out of a wine bottle, shame to waste. Curious about the type of silicone on the btm. and how long it will last as opposed to solder.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've also rececently purchased the 1400pl and the 1200jr cappings spinner
Wow did not know there was a capping spinner. Nice idea. This might be Going on my wish list for next years things to buy. But, I was thinking of getting the Sideliner-Uncapper and If I got that I might not really have any uncapping to spin. What do you you use to uncap you frames.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/spinners.html
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/The-Sideliner-Uncapper/productinfo/795/

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've also rececently purchased the 1400pl and the 1200jr cappings spinner and I agree it's a nice unit. I just only wish the gate was lower to the bottom like the jr. spinners. It's like squeezing out the last bit out of a wine bottle, shame to waste. Curious about the type of silicone on the btm. and how long it will last as opposed to solder.
The bottoms are welded. The sealant you see in the bottom is only there to keep honey out of the crack, not to hold the 2 together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a electric hot knife or the electric plane from Maxant, both work well pending on how many boxes you have to uncap. it's true the planer is easier on the wrists. Now my buddy and I were looking into the chain uncapper, only it makes quite a mess and the bees would take more time to repair it then put in the goods. Ahh the need for speed what do you do? the sideliner you say! it'd be interesting to try out.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would you do anything differently now that you've completed it?
We built the triangles to cover one set of bolts. You could put them on the bottom. Also we had to cut the bolts that stuck out so that the wheels could spin. You will see that. 2.5 inch bolts are to long but, 2 inch is too short. We ran the bolts that hold the wheels in the back side up through both pieces of wood. I had the wood so the wheels and bolt's cost me about 50 bucks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts