Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received mated queens from a reputable producer in GA. I installed them into 5-frame nucs June 6. Checking back a week or so later I saw lots of eggs and the queens. Things looked great.

Yesterday, in one of these nucs I saw the queen. I again saw lots of eggs and small larvae. But this time I noticed scores of cells having multiple eggs in the bottom of the cell. Not on the sides as you might expect with laying workers. All eggs were on the bottom. Can you explain what is happening? Why would there be multiple eggs?

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
If the multiple eggs are neatly laid in each cell, it maybe be the new queen. Apparently some new queens do that until they get the hang of it. A laying worker will lay random eggs in each cell.

Nature is not perfect.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It sometimes happens with new queens, usually nothing to worry about, is there other cells that she can lay in, if you have a drawn frame put that in and most likely she will get the hint that she is only supposed to lay one egg in each cell

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sometimes happens with new queens, usually nothing to worry about, is there other cells that she can lay in, if you have a drawn frame put that in and most likely she will get the hint that she is only supposed to lay one egg in each cell
That's comforting. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
She may not have room to lay all the eggs her body is producing in available clean cells. Do the bees have enough room?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You all made an excellent point. When I opened the 5-frame nuc yesterday, I found a frame of foundation I had put in there back on June 6. The foundation was not drawn out! Hardly touched. So, yesterday, I replaced it with a frame of nice drawn comb. So, I think you might be on to something. I had thought the nuc might draw out a frame of comb for me. Silly me. I fed 1:1, but they seemed to have been putting the syrup in the existing cells as opposed to drawing out the new foundation. So, I think that was the problem. Will check back in a week or so to see how she is going. Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts