Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, like the title says my wife and I are new to Bee Keeping. We are located in central Pa close to the fork in the Susquehanna River. We just got our bee last week and installed in our new hive. We are very excited taking on this new endeavor, also my 15 month old son loves to watch them come in and out of the hive. We did have a small problem when we went to install the package. I noticed the screen on cage was lifted when i pulled it out. There was only one staple in the screen. Luckily the queen was still in there, but the attendees were gone. I called company followed instructions and installed queen cage as per there instructions, now monitoring the progress. Queen has been released from cage but i am unable to find her. The weather hasn't been cooperating, temp here mid 50's and cloudy with drizzle. Each time i check on her all bees are huddled on frames #4,5,6 very thick and just cant seam to find her. Thoughts? They are coming up to feed on top feeder with sugar water and Honey-B-Healthy. They have started drawing out the comb also, which is really neat.

Maybe someone can throw some input in but we are starting on new med supers with wire foundation no hooks. I have noticed the foundation got pushed out of grove on top because of the queen cage and weight of bees. Tried to reinstall but just seams to keep falling out at top.

We have put a lot of time and thought in the start up and location of hive. We settled on a location close to a hedge row and also located close to our vegetable garden. You can see in the picture the hedge row and the flower garden we put around it. we will be adding more to the flower garden and a couple hedges to block the ugly side of hedge row. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Hive-sm.jpg

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hey everyone, like the title says my wife and I are new to Bee Keeping. We are located in central Pa close to the fork in the Susquehanna River. We just got our bee last week and installed in our new hive. We are very excited taking on this new endeavor, also my 15 month old son loves to watch them come in and out of the hive. We did have a small problem when we went to install the package. I noticed the screen on cage was lifted when i pulled it out. There was only one staple in the screen. Luckily the queen was still in there, but the attendees were gone. I called company followed instructions and installed queen cage as per there instructions, now monitoring the progress. Queen has been released from cage but i am unable to find her. The weather hasn't been cooperating, temp here mid 50's and cloudy with drizzle. Each time i check on her all bees are huddled on frames #4,5,6 very thick and just cant seam to find her. Thoughts? They are coming up to feed on top feeder with sugar water and Honey-B-Healthy. They have started drawing out the comb also, which is really neat.

Maybe someone can throw some input in but we are starting on new med supers with wire foundation no hooks. I have noticed the foundation got pushed out of grove on top because of the queen cage and weight of bees. Tried to reinstall but just seams to keep falling out at top.

We have put a lot of time and thought in the start up and location of hive. We settled on a location close to a hedge row and also located close to our vegetable garden. You can see in the picture the hedge row and the flower garden we put around it. we will be adding more to the flower garden and a couple hedges to block the ugly side of hedge row. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 10535
You don't say what type of frames you are using. If they are wedge bars, then you need to press the wedge tightly against the back part and nail in place to secure the foundation to the frame. If they are slotted, then take a small nail and basically nail the two sides of the slot together forcing it to pinch the foundation between the slot. if they are grooved, then you will need to melt a sheet of foundation (unless you have wax available) and use melted wax to secure the froundation in place.

I would not worry about not seeing the queen. I still have problems finding queens. i look for eggs and larva, if those are present, then the queen is in there laying. It normally takes a few days to see eggs as the queen adjusts to her new location and they gather enough stores to support the impending hatching.

gove them some time and space, I know it is hard, being a new keeper, but don't over inspect them, at least not more than once a day... lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are the grooved frames. Funny everything ive read and watch online and videos i never saw anyone use wax to secure the foundation in the grooved frames. Thanks jbeshearse for the info.

Since they are not in the middle of the super will that be ok or should i move one of the empty frames over to other side to make it more even?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Let them were they are for at least a week.
If you bother them to much before they have brood they my up and leave.
Do you have Bear there?
If so you should be thinking about a fence.
I had a hunting cabin in East Waterford about 9 years ago and we had bears there.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
They are the grooved frames. Funny everything ive read and watch online and videos i never saw anyone use wax to secure the foundation in the grooved frames. Thanks jbeshearse for the info.

Since they are not in the middle of the super will that be ok or should i move one of the empty frames over to other side to make it more even?
Grooved top bar frames should utilize plasticell, not pure beeswax foundation. The plasticell snaps right in and has the strength not to sag. The wax with wires sags. If you use wax you should use wedge top bars. What you have seen or read are people using plasticell or ritecell in grooved bars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is the text from the company that i use for the foundation.
"Our Crimp Wire foundation is made from 100% Pure Beeswax. It has 9 Steel Vertical Wires that radiate strength throughout the entire sheet. If you need additional strength you can add cross wires horizontally. Support pins can also be used but not needed. Foundation has deep cell walls and strong steel wires. Fresh beeswax absorbs toxins in your hive...it is a good idea to change our your comb every few years to keep your hives healthy. This Crimp Wire foundation snaps into 6-1/4" frames with a GROOVED TOP AND GROOVED BOTTOM BAR."

No bears here on the farm, which is a good thing for the bees. i do have the other critters, ****, opossum, skunks, neighbor saw one porcupine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just checked my hive and found the queen. the only problem i found is where the foundation sagged where the queen cage was they built a piece of brace comb, not quite the size of your palm. im guessing i should remove it and straighten the foundation so they dont do this again?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
here is the text from the company that i use for the foundation.
"Our Crimp Wire foundation is made from 100% Pure Beeswax. It has 9 Steel Vertical Wires that radiate strength throughout the entire sheet. If you need additional strength you can add cross wires horizontally. Support pins can also be used but not needed. Foundation has deep cell walls and strong steel wires. Fresh beeswax absorbs toxins in your hive...it is a good idea to change our your comb every few years to keep your hives healthy. This Crimp Wire foundation snaps into 6-1/4" frames with a GROOVED TOP AND GROOVED BOTTOM BAR."

No bears here on the farm, which is a good thing for the bees. i do have the other critters, ****, opossum, skunks, neighbor saw one porcupine.
Yet your foundation sagged! So are you using the medium frames? Are you cross wiring? Personally I use all medium wedge top bars with wired with hooks wax foundation. In this configuration there is no need to crosswire even when extracting. I would think that grooved top bars and wired foundation without crosswires is just asking for trouble

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i am using med frames. no i wasnt cross wiring. as you stated i have found that this setup is trouble. so was only one has sagged but this is because i had queen cage attached to it with rubber band as the company told me to do.

anybody have thoughts on brach comb between frames, remove or not?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts