Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new iphone- my first. I would like to download an app to use thermal imaging for my hives. What is the best one to use? Is there a free, good one?

·
Registered
98 Posts
No there is no good free one sorry. A decent one is Flir which is an app PLUS a little camera you plug into the phone but it isn't cheap.
if you just need to check for warmth etc then the likes of the Etekcity Lasergrip do the job for about $15.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just checking a little on the internet... does the iphone need to have an imaging chip or something like that or another something to attach to the iphone??? In other words, can the phone itself have an app to do the imaging without anything added??

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Did a little more checking and looked up the Etekcity lasergrip. That looks like the way I'll be going. I was hoping there was an app for the iphone but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The phone camera is regular camera it. What you are looking for is thermal camera and you can buy an iPhone plugin (aka piece of physical equipment ) to attach to your camera to take thermal image. Think about it, why would a phone vendor put a thermal camera in a phone which add increase the cost of the phone and only satisfy by .000000001% of the users?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Tom... just getting used to the iphone, that everyone else is already adept at...

I'd checked "Seek Thermal", and Thermal Camera for "Flir", as well as a few others. It was confusing...

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
One of the reason I when start for a thermal camera When I bought. Cell phone Technology changes too much

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is only one phone that I know of that has a thermal camera. It's branded under the Caterpillar name and is not supported by my carrier (Verizon). Any app you get for an iPhone is just a gimmick. There is no thermal camera on that phone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a Flir on an android phone, it has an app and just plugs in to the charging port. I bought it on ebay new and sure they also have them for iPhones. It is handy for winter times to check cluster size and in spring to check if my traps have swarms in them. Often there is lots of activity in the daytime but no swarm and it is easier this way rather than taking the box down and it not have a swarm in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been using the SEEK thermal attachment for IPhones for a few years now, it was the cheapest to buy back then and works pretty good, Flir has always been the leader but costs more

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I had a huge surprise about a week ago. A friend saw my new iphone and commented on it. I told him I had been looking for thermal imaging for my hives. He said, "I have a thermal imaging attachment that was given to me and I'm not using". So now I have a "free" Flir for my iphone. Amazing!!! I had to use it the next day when I saw a lid on one hive had blown off. I found they had clustered in the bottom hive box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of the reason I when start for a thermal camera When I bought. Cell phone Technology changes too much
I agree with this. I don't want my camera be out dated when my phone is. I figure a heat signature will always be a heat signature to I got the Flir C2. it is at the low end of the spectrum but has lots of options and works well for what I need and more. FLIR0156.jpg

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will when I get a little time... you know- Christmas time.

I think I need to figure out what imaging colors are best for this. I've tried it already but need to do a little more work.
Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I agree with this. I don't want my camera be out dated when my phone is. I figure a heat signature will always be a heat signature to I got the Flir C2. it is at the low end of the spectrum but has lots of options and works well for what I need and more.
I see wisdom in that philosophy. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts