Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the concept of bee-keeping.

We bought our house, set on 2 acres, 4yrs ago. The previous owners hadn't done much in the way of landscaping or growing. The only flowering plants on the property were a massive number of daffodils and a trumpet vine (ok, there were a few tulips, and one small lilac, and 8 fruit trees, but thats it). I've been slowly attempting to fix that problem. I've added a range of flowering perennials as well as my own small vegi and fruit garden. Its still not enough, but I'm continuing to work on it.

We've been enjoying the local honey bought from a nearby beekeeper, and I've started looking at what it would take to keep bees myself. Both for the honey and to ensure enough pollinators for the garden. Hence my joining here!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the Finger and a big Hello from down here in Ithaca. Once all the snow melts I am sure you will love our 3 days of Summer......LOL. No really, a Big Welcome and Hello to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're not new to Upstate ;) , and I'm very familer with the "3 days of summer", and SO GLAD the snow finally melted! My husband grew up here, and I'm originally from Mass, so I know the weather!

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Welcome to you....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome I am in Mexico NY so not to far from you I just started bee keeping last yr and with the bad winter we had lost my hive. I have another started and hardware in place for 1 more hive once i find some bee's or they find me. I will tell you it is costly to get started unless you can build your hives and there is a learning curve for sure but the rewards are so worth it. I find them amazing love to just watch them and looking in the hive it always so interesting. I know i am doing a good thing helping to save the bee's and that is always rewarding . You have come to the right place there is so much information on this site and great people to help you along. I would suggest finding a bee keeper in your area and going out the there yard with them, get first hand experience best way to go before making the commitment. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yah, I definetly have to find someone local to pester, I learn much better by seeing than reading, though I'm learning lots by reading!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts