Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I found this site, been reading all I can for the past few weeks. Became interested in bees when we had a few (~30) bees get into our house. Talked to some local folks, kept an eye on it, but no swarm/colony in the house. Did some more research, took a local class and really enjoyed it. Was out of the country last year, so I didn't get a chance to get bees until this year. I put my first package in last Sat, using an 8-frame medium setup. Everyone seems to be doing fine, there's a 3-acre blackberry patch about 100 feet from the hive so they've been going full-tilt boogie bringing home the goods. Planning on taking a look this Sat. and possibly adding another box. They've been pounding on the syrup as well, they suck a 1-qt feeder dry every day. Planning on removing the feeder this weekend as well.

Have lots of other "full-time hobbies" as well. We are expanding our garden to approx. 10,000 sq. ft. and adding fruit and nut trees as time and budget allow. Thanks to everyone who shares their experiences and knowledge here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greetings, Freedom,
Welcome. I am also from NEPA, if that means northeast Pennsylvania. I am also relatively new to this forum, three years beekeeping and involved in many organic agricultural and other projects. We may have a lot in common. What town are you in or near?

happy beekeeping,
roseagle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
roseagle, it is Pennsylvania. I'm just south of Binghamton, NY. I am documenting the conversion of my property from weedy unhealthy woods to producing as much food as I can. Had an interesting thing happen this weekend, I'll post it in the general area. Been to Lake Ariel many times, nice area but too many people from NYC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Freedom,
You hit the nail on the head about Lake Ariel. Nevertheless, I am living here on an old farm, growing most of my own food as well. We do sometimes talk about pulling up the stakes, but we also are enjoying 72 beautiful acres. Time will tell what happens next. You are on the PA side then? I think of Hancock or Equinock area. Very lovely, up by the river. Reclaiming wild land. Good for you!

As it is I have 100 miles or so to travel to look in on aging parents. Makes it harder to think of going farther north.

I'm in the throws of planting my garden, and watching over livestock, bees and what not. Hopefully I will catch your post, as I am limited on line these days.

Nice to know you. You are probably in the WJFF listening area? We used to tune in often. Good community radio.

Don't work too hard!
Carla

1 - 5 of 5 Posts