Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like a lot of you I am tired of extracting honey in the Garage or Woodshop.
I have been wanting to do this for years and finely got the funds together to build my honey house.
I got bids to do the work last year but didn't want a second mortgage???
This area is a storage area on the back of my woodshop. It has been storage for lumber and extra bee equipment and stuff. Lots of leveling pallets and blocking thing's up.

I put footers in on April 23 2021 and laid over 300 8" block and poured them full of bags of cement.
Most of the bags were tour so only a few dollars each,
The corner wall is over 6' high.

Plant Tree Automotive tire Trunk Wood

Plant Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt
Plant Tree Land lot Wood Building material
Plant Tree Building Shade Wood
Shade Road surface Asphalt Grass Groundcover

I rented a skid steer for a week and backfilled it all.
The back fill was free from the lower part of our property.
Several hundred trips up and down the drive about a quarter mile away, but free!
I bought the crushed stone and used a compactor every couple of loads.
More to follow tomorrow.

·
Registered
Right now,one hive consisting of two 10 frame deeps of an Ohio swarm of muttsutts.
200 Posts
Good job. You have been hard at it. That's going to be real nice when you get it all done.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took just over 15 yards of concrete. I could have done this my self but decided to pay someone to do this part. I'm not as young as I used to be. and my son's could not help me.
Shade Wood Road surface Plant Floor

This part is going to be covered this spring and used for frame storage. It is also a loading dock. I will take a better picture later today showing this area.
Brown Wood Flooring Gas Road surface

Then I started framing things up. I have been buying the lumber over the last couple of years and I am glad I did. I warped the outside of the walls with old billboard's, I also have been putting them under my hives to stop weeds.
Plant Building Wood Shade Fence
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Shade
Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Beam

I will have to take more pictures today, because I get rolling on projects and don't even think about pictures. The last one is 10/25/21. I have done a lot since then.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Looking good, you will surely enjoy that come spring for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
If it doesn't work out with the bees, you can just convert that into a bedroom and rent it out .

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
That's going to be nice, especially the loading dock part. 👍

I second the Honey House envy.

Alex

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are of the outside. the part sheeted in will be sided the same as the rest of the garage.
The area that just has studs is the storage for empty equipment.
The end with out a roof is the loading dock and will be for empty frame storage. Sky Building Window Plant Wood
Sky Property Building Plant Window
Wood Building Plant Rural area Gas
Sky Tree Wood Plant Gas

The fence in the foreground of the first picture is my mating yard.
I have Bears that walk around it when there are hives there. I usually have several nucs over wintering but the fence is unpowered do to the build. The last picture is were I store my empty frames. This will be rebuilt this summer over the loading dock and the dust collector and air compressor will be located in there also.
More to follow

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Inside shots.
The walls are insulated and wired with 110 and 200 receptacles. All of the electric is over 4' off the floor so I don't have any openings in the bottom wall panels and I don't have to bend over to plug something in.
The plywood will be painted for now but will be covered with Embossed white wall panels that are water proof.
The white door leads out to the storage side.
The floor will be painted with a 2 part epoxy paint in the spring as the concrete has to be above 55 before painting.
The large opening is a 6' opening in to my wood shop. (20' x 40') The window use to be to outside wall of the wood shop.
My air compressor and dust collector use to set were the 6' door is now.
Some of you are thinking were is the large door into the honey house? There is a garage door in the wood shop just inside the 6' door way. That gives me more clear wall space. I store pulled frames in chest freezers until I have enough to extract at one time, around 300 keeps me busy all day. The freezers will be along the wall with the window to the wood shop and to the right of the white door to the storage area. The room is 18' x 18' and I can use it for storing wood tools on wheels and my box building jig. when not extracting honey. It also gives me more room as I prep equipment for spring. If all goes as planed it should be painted by Thursday this week.
The last picture is were the loading dock will be when finished. This area will be under roof sometime this summer using the frame storage area roof and more roofing I have set aside.
Wood House Flooring Floor Beam
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Ceiling
Wood Fixture Floor Flooring Tradesman
Building Wood House Flooring Floor
Wood Building Tree Window Plant

A work in progress. I will post pictures as I complete things.
Other than the concrete I have done it all by my self.
My son's and daughter did come over one Saturday and help move all of the equipment in to the storage area. My wife was tired of looking at the tarps over everything.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished building for now.
I will finish the electric.
Today I painted the walls.
This is as far as I will go on the build till it warms up in the spring.

Window Property Fixture Wood Interior design
Ladder Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood
Window Fixture Wood Floor Flooring
Flooring Floor Wood Gas Ceiling

Then I will put a 2 part epoxy paint on the floor and up the wall a few inches.
Then cover the walls up 8' with white fiberglass panels.
In the mean time I will be cutting out cardboard the size of my equipment and laying things out.
Now to clean the wood shop and start prepping equipment starting with swarm traps.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I like it!!!

Thanks for posting this up, it is making me want to get started on mine.

Reactions: Gray Goose
1 - 17 of 17 Posts