Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some quick advice and guidance. I just hived two new hives this afternoon. The hives are about two feet apart. Both went well, but I got my first "beekeeper sting" when I was stupid and trapped a little girl under my upper arm. I placed both boxes with lingering bees in front of the hives. Well, I could not resist and went back about an hour later to see how it was going. The first hive had a large number, maybe a pound or so, of bees clinging to the front of the hive. The second hive had none, but had a few bees going in and out of the restricted entrance. The first hive also had several bees going in and out of it. Many bees flying around and a number on the ground (I sprayed heavily with sugar syrup). Both queens looked very health and ready to get out. I placed the queen cages exactly as directed (cork removed, candy up, screen facing the center of the hive). Oh, both hives fed using top feeders. Do I have a problem?

Ron

[ April 07, 2006, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: RonS ]

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Does not sound like a problem. Bees may head to one box or the other.

When you say candy up.... What exactly are you doing? Is it toward the cover?? I put the candy horizontal toward the front or back. Probably doesn't matter,,

Resist the temptation to bother them too much the next week or so.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruce,

The "Beekeeper for Dummies" book says to place the queen with candy plug toward the top (top cover), screen towards the center of the hive. It is suspended between the third and fourth frames using bent nails, again as directed.

Ron

[ April 07, 2006, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: RonS ]

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
No problem. I'm sure its OK then. I like the plug easily accessable as well as the screen. It all works....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Candy up?
I've always wondered why the books say that. Perhaps because insects tend to climb, and with the candy up, the queen is supposedly more likely to get out sooner?

Dispite what the books say, some beekeepers say candy down. Why? Well their experiences include having the candy "run" down and drown the queen. I dont' know if that is a common problem. Perhaps only in humid regions.

Nevertheless, until someone gives a valid reason to candy up, i candy down. No need in risking my queen.

Waya

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too late. Candy up it is. I'll let you know if bad things happen. What about the real problem? Any input?

Ron

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what i've read,If the candy is down and the bees in the Queen box with the queen die, They could close off the entrance preventing her exit to the hive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What about the real problem?
Ron, bees not immediately going in or remaining in hive is not unusual. They can be disoriented for a little while. My guess is, tomorrow morning when you go out to check on them, they'll be fine. Good luck with your new bees.

They could close off the entrance preventing her exit to the hive. [/unquote]

beebuzz, that's why I like Sundance's sideways method. I don't have to worry about melting candy or dead attendants.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You know, that queen in the cage has been with that package for some time now. Some folks say you can just release her now. No need to wait for them to eat the candy.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I wouldn't assume the queen's been with the package - when I picked mine up, they had been shaken out that morning - together less than half a day when I picked them up.

I sometimes feel sorry for that queen (who I direct released). Watch the cage. If they are feeding here, she's probably ok.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Xc- Same here. I asked about direct releasing and the supplier said don't risk it. I pick up packages this Thur. and in my case (like yours) the bees will have been shaken out just a few hours prior to pick up. I would say if they have been in shipment for a couple of days there wouldn't be a problem but I'm glad I asked before just taking it for granted.

David

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
""that's why I like Sundance's sideways method. I don't have to worry about melting candy or dead attendants.""

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, an update. I went out this morning and the first hive still had many bees clustered on the front (facing sun) and going in and out of the reduced entrance. Second hive had almost no activity. I could not resist, so i took off the top cover to look at the feeder. There were about fifty bees clustered near the top of the feeder and one taking a drink. I did not remove the feeder, following much advice to leave them alone. This almost as bad as waiting for the first child to be born.

Ron

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Ron

this sounds like a carbon copy of my first time last year(hiving a package)
do you happen to have a screened bottom board?
I could look up from the bottom of my hive and see what was going on

Dave

BTW, mine worked out fine

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave,

No, I don't have a screened bottom board, but I now wish that I did. Next hive will have one. The hives have four cinder blocks each for a base, so looking up their skirts is not an option.

Say, I looked at your website and pictures. Nice woods and nicer looking bees. I should be so lucky. Are you using plastic foundation? I am using the one-piece frames.

Ron

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Ron,

I started with the plastic that came in my "starter kit" but quickly read about small cell bees and started switching over
I have my original hive on all natural cell drawn from starter strips and have 3 nucs coming soon that are also on natural cell
I'm gonna start feeding some frames of small cell foundation into them all when the honey flow hits

Dave

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I go candy down if there are no attendants in the queen cage. Should 1 die it prevents the queen from going out. Candy up can melt at times and run on the queen and kill her.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ron

I go candy down if there are no attendants in the queen cage. Should 1 die it prevents the queen from going out. Candy up can melt at times and run on the queen and kill her.I've done both.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ron

I go candy down if there are no attendants in the queen cage. Should 1 die it prevents the queen from going out. Candy up can melt at times and run on the queen and kill her.I've done both.

Bees on the outside of the hive could be because you really sprayed them heavily at introduction and they are processing the sugar water and or drying themselves off. If they are still there the next day, they either got stranded there because of cold weather or there is a virgin queen. I would just brush them lighly so they fall onto the entrance. Remove the reducer before you proceed and in a few minutes most if not all bees will be in the hive. Reinstall the entrance reducer and all is good again.

Good luck. Feed heavily to get em good and strong .

Jean-Marc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts