Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 package bee's were installed 3 weeks ago today. After installing them I checked to see if the queens were released 3 days later, all was good. I then waited 8 days and checked the hives. Each had about 4 frames drawn out with eggs and larva in about 1 or 1-1/2 frames. Yesterday 11 days later I checked them again, now we have about 5-1/2 frames drawn with almost 3 frames of capped brood can still see eggs and larva and saw both queens. Everything is in good shape but my question is why not more drawn comb. With the bee population now at its low point do they only build what they can care for? Also how can a person tell the hive is building without opening the hive? Should their be a marked difference in activity at the entrance?

Thanks
Greg

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
> Everything is in good shape but my question is why not more drawn comb. With the bee population now at its low point do they only build what they can care for?

Bees build comb in order to put something in it. They may use comb to raise brood, or store pollen or syrup/nectar, but if they don't need it for one of those functions then there is no reason to build comb.

Bees not building comb when the beekeeper wants more comb built may be frustrating to the beekeeper, but offering syrup may give the bees a reason to build more comb.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
They only build what they need. They are not spec builders.
Until you are experienced inspections are best. Normal is not just how busy the entrance is. Example; if there is a lot of brood and ample stores activity will sometimes drop outside because everybody is working inside.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have been feeding from the beginning, they have gone threw almost 2 gallon. I watch them a little every day and they are bringing in tons of pollen. I did see the rainbow pattern on the frames. Brood center,the pollen and then capped honey on the outside. On the full frames of capped brood I saw very little pollen and some capped honey on the outside. The frames with egg's and larva looked to have pollen but I don't think as much as I saw on day 11. Inspection next week will be interesting to see.

Thanks
Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts