Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2 new packages this year and they were delivered May 10th. Pulled cork on the 12th on queen cage and removed cage on 14th. Now 16 days later I opened the hive and they both have built a lot of comb but one has built a lot more brood and the one with the less brood has a lot more activity of bringing in pollen. The one with the more brood has maybe 5 to 6 bees coming in and out at 1 time and the one with less brood has 50 to 100 bees coming in and out loaded with pollen constantly. Would this just be the difference and age of the bees or one hive just working better for the queen?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My packages arrived shortly after yours, and have followed suit. It sounds like yours are doing fine. I suspect the one with more brood likely had the queen that began laying first. More brood requires more nurse bees which is likely why less of those package bees are foraging?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nate, my hives have similar differences as your do, but not quite as pronounced. My wife had to pick up my bees at Home Depot on the 10th since I was out of town that morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts