Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first year beekeeper here. A friend of mine has been keeping bees for around 7 years now and one of his hives swarmed 2 weeks ago today, he called and I caught the swarm. I put them into a brand new 10 frame hive and he gave me a frame of spun out comb from a medium super he had thinking it would give them a head start. I have been feeding them 1:1 sugar syrup since I caught them, the first two days they went through 2 quarts and have since slowed down. I did my first inspection today and couldn't find any eggs or capped brood. There was a little bit of capped "honey" and both sides of the medium frame had uncapped honey and they were working their way 1 frame to the left and right. I did see two new queen cells in that middle frame. The bees were very docile and didn't seem to care that I was looking in the hive. Does it sound like I don't have a queen or maybe she hasn't started laying yet? Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
She'd be laying by now. Are the queen "cells" full? Just look in and see, it'll be obvious. The bees shouldn't have let the queen lay a few eggs, and then kill her. She probably dies during the hiving process. If the cells aren't full ask your friend for a frame with eggs and a frame or two of brood to keep the population going. The bees will make a new queen with the eggs. BTW unfilled queen cells are called "queen cups".

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
449 Posts
Hello, first year beekeeper here. A friend of mine has been keeping bees for around 7 years now and one of his hives swarmed 2 weeks ago today, he called and I caught the swarm. I put them into a brand new 10 frame hive and he gave me a frame of spun out comb from a medium super he had thinking it would give them a head start. I have been feeding them 1:1 sugar syrup since I caught them, the first two days they went through 2 quarts and have since slowed down. I did my first inspection today and couldn't find any eggs or capped brood. There was a little bit of capped "honey" and both sides of the medium frame had uncapped honey and they were working their way 1 frame to the left and right. I did see two new queen cells in that middle frame. The bees were very docile and didn't seem to care that I was looking in the hive. Does it sound like I don't have a queen or maybe she hasn't started laying yet? Thanks
Are the queen cells capped?Or do they have royal jelly in them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Emmett, thanks for the info didn't know the difference from a queen cell to a queen cup. The cups are empty no royal jelly or eggs in them. I talked to him a couple minuets ago and he said I can take a couple frames out of his hive, neither one of us had done this before so we were waiting to hear from someone that knows more than us. When we add the frames from his hive I don't put any of his bees in correct?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
449 Posts
Emmett, thanks for the info didn't know the difference from a queen cell to a queen cup. The cups are empty no royal jelly or eggs in them. I talked to him a couple minuets ago and he said I can take a couple frames out of his hive, neither one of us had done this before so we were waiting to hear from someone that knows more than us. When we add the frames from his hive I don't put any of his bees in correct?
Make sure 1 frame leterally has eggs in it . Or very very young larvae. If you have a frame with alot of eggs and larvae then those bees will mainly be nurse bees and will get along with any other colony. If the colony your transferring to needs help in the population department then leave the bees on the frame. As soon as the hive figures out they have fertilized eggs,they will start on building the queen cells.
The capped brood frames shake the bees off.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
537 Posts
Could have been a swarm with a virgin dqueen, she has to mature and mate 5-7 days, then another 5-7 days to start laying.
Can be quicker or slower. Moving a frame of bees in with the resources (eggs and larvae )to make a queen will tell you if they are queenless or you just have not seen eggs. Don't need capped brood and don't shake off the nurse bees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, is one transfer of a couple frames usually enough to do the trick? If the nurse bees will get along with mine I would think can't hurt to have more population in my hive since there hasn't been any replacements for the past 2 weeks.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
449 Posts
Okay, is one transfer of a couple frames usually enough to do the trick? If the nurse bees will get along with mine I would think can't hurt to have more population in my hive since there hasn't been any replacements for the past 2 weeks.
If there are eggs on that frame then 1 is enough. The capped brood is just a kicker for allegiance and population.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Could have been a swarm with a virgin queen, she has to mature and mate 5-7 days, then another 5-7 days to start laying.
Can be quicker or slower. Moving a frame of bees in with the resources (eggs and larvae )to make a queen will tell you if they are queenless or you just have not seen eggs. Don't need capped brood and don't shake off the nurse bees.

John;
Very timely reinforcing if I may say. I'm just loading the Rover with some supplies to go out to the Farm to do a frame swap on one of my May splits from the Triple Deeps with frames from another split from the same mother hive. It appears from an external inspection earlier today that the one hive has had a drop in population-possibly a weak queen or maybe she didn't make it or maybe drift from one hive to the other. The other hive is booming, maybe even hitting a swarm situation. They're only about about 4 feet apart, same mother hive but I was on the fence with adding nurse bees-hence the "reinforcement"-a frame or two of brood with nurse bees. As away, I appreciate your advice. If I don't see a queen or fresh brood, maybe I can get a queen cell out of the stronger hive. These are all candidates for re-queening in July.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I attempted to get a frame of eggs out of my friends hive and was unsucessful. I was unable to see eggs on any of the frames in the brood box, the bees were pretty riled up by the time I was done looking. I checked his new hive that he caught the same day I caught mine and there was uncapped larva in that hive and it looked like she was laying pretty consistent. Guess I will see what happens with mine.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
449 Posts
Well, I attempted to get a frame of eggs out of my friends hive and was unsucessful. I was unable to see eggs on any of the frames in the brood box, the bees were pretty riled up by the time I was done looking. I checked his new hive that he caught the same day I caught mine and there was uncapped larva in that hive and it looked like she was laying pretty consistent. Guess I will see what happens with mine.
Sometimes it can be hard to see those eggs. I always have a magnifying glass in my pocket. It's just a super tiny looking piece of rice. If they were just layed they will be standing up on end. If they are more than a few hours old then they lay down on their side.

·
Registered
136 Posts
you got a seconder swarm. has an un mated queen. give them at least 2 weeks before you start looking for eggs. a little longer is better. may take 10 days for her to get mated and 3to 5or6 days to get to laying good. but i love them when they get started they grow really quick, if there is a honey flow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked the bees again tonight and didn't see good things. I first saw one queen cup almost all the way capped but I couldn't tell if it was empty or not then a few cells with larva in them and then found cells with 2-8 eggs in them. Some of my research seems to say they aren't worth trying to save, would I be better to dump them or let them run their course and dwindle and die off?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts