Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're moving some TBH nucs that we captured as swarms a few weeks ago. We have four total. Three will be going into new Langstroth hives, the other will be simply moved to a full size TBH (same dimensions for the comb). The new location is about five miles away "as the crow flies".

Should we assemble the new hives at the current location and swap the TB nucs into them before moving or should we move them first then swap them into the new hives? It would be much easier to set up the new hives at their new locations then move/swap them into the new ones all at once, but is that too big of a change for them to handle well? Time isn't a big deal, I want to do it with as little disruption as I can. Just looking for opinions on weither one big disruption is better or if a few smaller ones is better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
one and done.
if any of the comb is damaged in transit you have the oportunity to make things right when you transfer. they will be ticked off after bouncing down the road so i would move them right after the sun sets. leave entrances blocked and transfer to new home the next morning. try to do it on a cooler night if you have the option.
why going from TBH nucs to langstroth?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one and done.
if any of the comb is damaged in transit you have the oportunity to make things right when you transfer. they will be ticked off after bouncing down the road so i would move them right after the sun sets. leave entrances blocked and transfer to new home the next morning. try to do it on a cooler night if you have the option.
why going from TBH nucs to langstroth?
No good reason really. We will have four 4' TBHs and four 10 frame Langstroth hives. Mostly to be able to compare between the two.

So move them after sun down and don't open the entrances when we get them there. Then transfer in the morning. I have those nuc disks so can close them in and still have some air going in. We're having nights in the 50s here for the next few days. May try to move them tomorrow night and do the transfer to new hive on Friday morning.

It won't cause mass chaos or anything doing a few of these in the same location as each other, will it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
i agree that moving them and installing at the new location would be best. certainy some bees will be flying around as you wonrk. this way, they can either find their same old queen by scent, or just move into whichever hive suits them and you'll lose less bees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts