Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opened hive last sunday, but couldn't find queen under excluder. Shallow hive above super was full, and heavy. There was a few drones wandering around the frames, and bees were clustered, on the brood frames, and under the frames. I'm planning not to rob the honey this season. The brood cells had open white larva, that weren't caped. Some cells were yellow, and podwery dry. some cells were capped, but were wrinkled on top, and sunken. Looks like AFB to me, but i am not one to no for sure. They were abandoned by a beekeeper, but i don't know their history. since i'm not planning on robbing, should i start treating now, and with what? I put a deep super on top of their shallow hive, but after 2-weeks, they hadn't started working it at all.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Some cells were yellow, and podwery dry. some cells were capped, but were wrinkled on top, and sunken. Looks like AFB to me, but i am not one to no for sure.

If you are suspicious then you need to find out for sure. This isn't something you just want to treat in case it is, you want to know.

The simple field test is to take a matchstick (or other small stick) and push it into one of those "sunken" "dark" caps and pull it out. If it "strings" that's a bad sign. If it doesn't then you don't have AFB. You can buy a definitive test from all of the bee suppliers now.

My guess is, if you don't smell bad smells and see black scale that you're just worrying too much. Caps start out yellow and turn dark as the bees make their cocoon.

>should i start treating now, and with what?

First find out if that's what it is.

>I put a deep super on top of their shallow hive, but after 2-weeks, they hadn't started working it at all.

When there is a flow and enough foragers thei will work it.
http://www.kohala.net/bees/index.html#anchor400987

Here are lot of pictures of healthy brood and various brood diseases. Including AFB. I think you need to decide definitively that you do or do not have AFB before you can decide what steps to take next. Also the laws in your state may have different requirements than the laws in my state and you need to take them into account also.
http://www.kohala.net/bees/cappings.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts