Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and am excited to meet all sorts of new people. I just started my first three hives 12 days ago. I checked them yesterday. Two of them look good but the third looks like it is struggling and it has multiple eggs per cell. Everything I read say laying worker. Will that happen so early after installing them? Should I order a new queen and take steps to dispose of laying worker now?
Thanks in advance. Gabe

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Before you jump to laying worker you must first determine other things.
1. You say multiple eggs per cell. Where are they located in the cell at? This is important!
2. Do you have capped worker brood at all or is it all drone?
3. Have you seen the actual Queen of this hive?

The reasons for these questions will determine if you have a laying worker problem and course of action.

A1. If the eggs are not located on the sides of the cell wall, but instead in the center bottom of the cell, it may just be that the queen is just getting started again. Sometimes after an extended period of being banked and caged, it takes up to 3 weeks for her to become "normal" again.

A2. Again, if there is any normal worker brood it means that the queen is laying, not a worker as workers only lay drone. Bullet shaped cappings once they are capped.

A3. If the queen is present, the chances of laying worker is somewhat less. Most of the time laying workers happen once a queen is killed.

If you find these answers then I can tell you two diff good methods to deal with the hive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not able to spot the queen in this hive. And don't really see anything capped yet, but I am new and a little unsure of what I'm looking for yet. The eggs are placed into the middle of the cell. I guess my biggest concern is I don't want to be too late to pull the trigger on a problem and lose the hive. Sounds like I should give it another week then decide ?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Young queens often lay multiples, and also drop eggs (visible on a screen bottom board). Typically, this resolves.

A laying worker hive is an end-state. I find it unlikely to develop 12 days after initial hiving.

My advice is to leave the young hives alone. You will likely cause more damage by poking around in them.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
How many of the cells did you see with multiple eggs in them? And did you see any with single eggs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are some cells with single eggs too. I think after hearing some thoughts. I'll leave them alone and stop worrying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts