Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I'm still really new to bee keeping (got my first hive last year). Well this year my hive was exploding with bees, brood and eggs so since I would like to have 4 hives some day I thought why not split this hive and see what happens. So I got another hive and moved 1 frame of mostly eggs, 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of honey and pollen to the new hive along with lots of nurse bees. That was 5 days ago so I went and checked on them today and the bees are still all there and there is now 3 queens cells started and all three have brood it them. So now what? What will happen if all 3 queens make it and hatch out? will they take care of it so there is only one queen in the hive? should I wait and pinch out the smallest queen cells? How do I go from here?:scratch:

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok so I'm still really new to bee keeping (got my first hive last year). Well this year my hive was exploding with bees, brood and eggs so since I would like to have 4 hives some day I thought why not split this hive and see what happens. So I got another hive and moved 1 frame of mostly eggs, 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of honey and pollen to the new hive along with lots of nurse bees. That was 5 days ago so I went and checked on them today and the bees are still all there and there is now 3 queens cells started and all three have brood it them. So now what? What will happen if all 3 queens make it and hatch out? will they take care of it so there is only one queen in the hive? should I wait and pinch out the smallest queen cells? How do I go from here?:scratch:
I would just leave them alone, several more cells and I may split again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts