Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first season as a beekeep, as you will soon be able to tell.

I just installed two packages of bees today around noon. I had one hivetop feeder with another on order but not yet arrived.

On one hive I put the hivetop feeder, with the telescope cover on top (no inner cover). But on the other hive I put a gallon ziploc baggie with about 3 quarts of syrup, laid down on top of the frames. I put two small pieces of wood on each corner of the hive deep to rest the top on, to raise it up a little bit because I don't have an empty hive deep to go on top of the one with the frames and the feeder bag. The telescope cover couldn't sit flush on top of the hive body because the feeder bag was to big and the bees needed to be able to get to the syrup).

DUH! The bees in the hive with the feeder have all gone over to the other hive and are robbing it like crazy, because they can get in under the cover. i have one hive with a queen (in her cage) and a few attendants, and another with a queen (still in her cage) and the bees from two packages all over it.

Right now, I am waiting to see if they sort themselves out. I can still go get another package of bees with out a queen to put in the first hive, but I won't be able to do that until May 28th.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Diane

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Figure out a way to put the covers on proper then reduce the entrances. The new packages will better be able to defend their colony that way. You will be all right for a couple of weeks then. Keep the syrup on them for a month once you figure it out.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
BTW, you may not be getting robbed depending on how long the packages have been installed. They are pretty confused upon arrival.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the one hive will rob the other-to death. yep, they'll kill 'em all, plus tear up any comb that has honey. get some heavy paper or cardboard and tape or staple it over the gaps you made shimming the top, and do a search here for a "robber screen" and make one. they might just make it if you hurry. good luck,mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Assuming you already have a second hive body for this hive sitting around, why don't you make yourself a jar feeder. Get a mason jar, put some small holes in the lid, turn it over and place over the hole in the inner cover. You can then put the telescoping cover on and have a proper seal. I found a 1/2 gallon jar at one of the craft stores that works nicely.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can easily go to Home depot and get a piece of 1x 2 and make a frame to go on the box around the baggie. then you can put the top on and it will be enclosed to prevent robbing. Just screw it together. Takes about 5 min.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I took the advice on building the frames and put them on top of the deeps to cover the feeder bags and things have calmed down.

Now i am forcing myself to leave them alone and let them get their houses in order.

Thanks again,

Diane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts