Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, getting my first nuc this evening - 4 frames. I have an 8 frame brooder with a mason jar super. I was told I "shouldn't" have to feed but may want to put some water/sugar on top for a couple of days just to get them started. I have no problem doing that but my question is since I'm going to have 4 empty waxed frames in the brood box with the nuc, can I not just spread some honey on one of the blank frames? As long as it's not too much to drip would that work as well? Just asking.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you mean honey from a store, then bad idea. You have no idea where that honey came from except that it came from lots of different hives and has been blended from multiple sources, some of which may have included pathogens from sick hives. Never give your bees honey that you do not know the origin of.

Sugar syrup is pathogen free and safer for your colony. Although table sugar is refined, it still was made by plants, it is still plant sugar, and is the same sugar the bees are collecting in nectar, minus the trace phytochemicals.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
welcome aboard mamm7215!

i agree with j on the risks of using honey vs. sugar syrup.

also agree with 'shouldn't' have to if you have a good nectar flow going on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’d probably stick with sugar syrup.

Let us know where your located. Around here (TX), you’ll want to feed a nuc until it fills out the entire deep (or 2). Being short on bees in the beginning, feeding is pretty important. It could mean life or death as you go into the winter. Your goal right now is to beef them up and prepare them for overwintering.

Ryan

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
99B62D34-2A49-4F40-8215-18ED74CBD235.jpg 2B00F91C-3215-4D68-95D1-87E41A0FD436.jpg 2968CFB6-5854-4AB1-A8F1-999BB42F45E8.jpg 5704B9CF-9D17-47DD-9DB6-85B8CD7C726B.jpg 30DEC5F9-5191-48D8-A3E6-DCF941FEE927.jpg I got it in this evening. 4 frame nuc in an 8 frame brooder. Went really well for my first time I think. I’ll know more in a couple of days. I went with an in hive feeder full of sugar water and a pollen patty up top of the excluder. May need it, may not. I didn’t want to not have enough in there for them. Hopefully they’ll start drawing out the blanks quickly and I can get the last 2 in to replace the feeder. Good looking frames though.
Btw, I’m near Vancouver, Canada. Local queen from an inspected, licensed breeder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts