Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. new to the forum but have been keeping bees for about the last 4 years. The ups (first year in i got a honey harvest, learn something new all the time) The downs (lost every hive since then and some stings) But I keep doing it. I am part of my local bee club and they are pretty helpful. I love the ideas the give me and advise, but there can always be other opions so i joined this lovely forum. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,578 Posts
Hi Juggernaut, welcome to Beesource. You have a well regarded beekeeper, Michael Bush, that lives in NE. If you haven't yet, consider purchasing his book, or at least read what he has to say on his website. A treasure trove of information, even if you are not treatment free.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really. Thank you sir. I'm not against treatments but i want little to no treatment for my bees or at least natural treatments. I do have apivar strips in my 4 hives now (3, 10 frames 2 deep boxes high and one 5 frame nuc). I wanted hoppguard but dadant doesnt sell it. i still gotta look around here and see if anyone here recomends it.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,578 Posts
I consider oxalic acid, formic acid, thymol, and hops derivatives to be natural treatments as these substances occur naturally. Of them, formic acid and oxalic acid are probably the most effective with certain limitations to each. There are threads here on Beesource which discuss the pros and cons of many treatment options and they make for some interesting and entertaining reading.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to Bee Source. Best of luck with your bees.
Thank you sir. Learned new things this week. Queens can Faint! hopefully mine did. I'll be checking to see if she's still there or not in a few days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts