Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interested in getting bees. I operate a moderately sized Maple Syrup operation and would like to add another dimension to my property. We'll see, my only worry is the winters here in Minnesota.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you go to your profile, under “About Me”, you can insert your location so that every post will include that information automatically in the post’s caption. Be mindful of that displayed information whenever it is suggested that beekeepers should be doing something at any particular time - the weather differences between Minnesota and Georgia, USA, are real, but Beesource attracts comments from beekeepers from the country of Georgia, or possibly Australia and New Zealand. To digest any comments, I believe you need to know the context, and location is critical for both the inquiry and the answer. If I am incorrect as to how to change your display, someone please correct the information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you go to your profile, under “About Me”, you can insert your location so that every post will include that information automatically in the post’s caption.
Good point. I should know this already as I've been a member of maple trader since 2011 which is the exact same format and look

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Since you are in Minnesota and impersonating a Canadian Mountie, you are on the right track. Study the way the Canadians do things. Bees are twice as expensive here in the states as they are in the Upper great white north. honeybeeworld.com has a lot of information about wintering and beekeeping in diary form. A retired beekeepers diary is very easily searchable. The owner has lost interest in bees but his site remains for now.

Are you close to Houston MN? b&bhoney would be a good local supplier for bees and beekeeping equipment as would mannlakeltd.com There hopefully still is a queenbreeder off their wintered stock near Minneapolis four seasons apiaries is the name, you will have to search.

Welcome, good luck and if the objective is bees this spring, you probably need to get some on order for late April or early May. At least that's when I want them in your climate. I would order Italian or Carnolians or a cross of the two. You do not want Russians.

Lots of info here, just choose people at similar latitude to listen to and your advice received will be worth just what you paid for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts