Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellooooo! I'm a new keeper from the Crystal Springs area. Got started keeping bees last year and thankfully both of my hives made it through the winter after a rough first year (my fault). Planning to buy two more nucs and be prepared to have a fifth if the opportunity presents itself. Also started the process of moving to all mediums this year, my back doesn't like the deeps too much.

I'm mostly going with plastic frames and foundations at the moment. They don't like them as much, but it's much easier to keep up with. My first hive likes to build stuff everywhere, and I had to chip several wax foundations out, lol. I'd like to keep chem treatments to a minimum. Also thinking about trying some foundationless frames in my second hive. They are good builders, they just like to use A LOT of propolis.

I really just like having 100k pets to "play" with and love honey, so it was a natural fit.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Welcome, I had bees over your way (Brandon & Lakeland )several years back,Also here at the same time,The bees did real well over there,Wouldn't think it would make that much diff- But the bees would start about 2-3 weeks sooner over there.
Again Welcome,,,,,,Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, this seems like a fun forum to be on. Very active, it's hard for me to keep up with everything, lol.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Good to hear that. I have a lot of friends around South Pontotoc, though my three sons graduated from North Pontotoc. I also have a few bees at the old Algoma apple orchard, which is now a cattle farm. There's several on the forum from Mississippi but none from Pontotoc County that I am aware of. I do have a neighbor on here who lives less than 5 miles from me but he is in Lafayette county.
I believe there is someone who sells hives from Star Mississippi, that should be handy for you if ever in need of boxes. Good luck with your bees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts