Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new-bee! I've got hives setup ready for the 2 nucs I've ordered but they're not due for a couple more weeks.

Today my neighbor called me and said he had a cluster of bees on a tree in his back yard, about 2 foot off the ground.

Long story short I got the queen into an 8 frame deep box and by evening all of the bees are inside the box.

I've taken the deep box back to my property where my bees will be, and tomorrow I plan to put a hive top feeder on that single deep box.

Is there anything else I need to do??? All help appreciated!

thanks!
Clay
Terre Haute, IN

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Leave them alone for a week to get used to their new home, so they don't change their minds and fly away. How big a swarm? Decide if/when you will need a second box on top if it was a large swarm. A small swarm is Okay in a single deep until they have new brood hatching.
Sounds like you are doing great! And, if you have used up your equipment on a surprise swarm, will you have enough when your nucs arrive?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I'm a new-bee! I've got hives setup ready for the 2 nucs I've ordered but they're not due for a couple more weeks.

Today my neighbor called me and said he had a cluster of bees on a tree in his back yard, about 2 foot off the ground.

Long story short I got the queen into an 8 frame deep box and by evening all of the bees are inside the box.

I've taken the deep box back to my property where my bees will be, and tomorrow I plan to put a hive top feeder on that single deep box.

Is there anything else I need to do??? All help appreciated!

thanks!
Clay
Terre Haute, IN
Order more boxes.:) In my first 2 years of beekeeping my biggest problem was keeping up with the bees as far as equipment goes. Always felt that I was behind the 8 ball. You might also want to add a nuc to that order or start building a few. Not just for a swarm but also as a quiet box for your first frame out of your hive box so it gives you room to work. As a new beekeeper it will make it a lot easier for you and for your bees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leave them alone for a week to get used to their new home, so they don't change their minds and fly away. How big a swarm? Decide if/when you will need a second box on top if it was a large swarm. A small swarm is Okay in a single deep until they have new brood hatching.
Sounds like you are doing great! And, if you have used up your equipment on a surprise swarm, will you have enough when your nucs arrive?
Ok good, that was the plant! I don't believe it's a huge swarm, but I have no real point of reference. I believe it was about the same size as a package of bees, so I think a single deep is good as this point.

I actually had enough boxes and components to account for a swarm. I have swarm trap going right now, so if I were to catch another I would be "in trouble" with respect to the nucs so I'm planning to get some more boxes ;)

thanks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Order more boxes.:) In my first 2 years of beekeeping my biggest problem was keeping up with the bees as far as equipment goes. Always felt that I was behind the 8 ball. You might also want to add a nuc to that order or start building a few. Not just for a swarm but also as a quiet box for your first frame out of your hive box so it gives you room to work. As a new beekeeper it will make it a lot easier for you and for your bees.
I thought I was ahead until this happened. I had enough hive boxes for 3 full hives with frames, but now I won't have any spares, so I will be buying more ;) and yes I need to get a 5 frame box. That would have been the perfect size for this swarm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!! I really appreciate it. I've been watching the bees since I got them in the box and they appear to be doing 'normal bee stuff'. I have them setup with a hive top feeder with 1:1 sugar syrup. Should I put any pollen patty on the hive??

thanks!
Clay

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Exactly my experience! If the bees are healthy they can build up fast!

I also agree with having a few 4 or 5 frame nucs on hand. Very useful for a variety of purposes. Certainly makes inspections easier and keeps the bees calmer if you put the pulled frames temporarily into a nuc while messing with the hive. I have even gotten small colonies through winter in nothing but a 5-frame nuc. I think small colonies do better in small boxes where they can control the internal environment better.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone!! I really appreciate it. I've been watching the bees since I got them in the box and they appear to be doing 'normal bee stuff'. I have them setup with a hive top feeder with 1:1 sugar syrup. Should I put any pollen patty on the hive??

thanks!
Clay
Regards the pollen patty. Where are you? By now in most of the US there should be plenty of natural pollen available. My bees won't even take honey right now there is so much blooming. Pollen patties can also attract small hive beetles so only use a small amount and check regularly to make sure the bees are actually eating it. If not, take it out.

Is there a bee club near you, or a local beekeeper you can ask? Timing for feeding is very much a local activity and different in each area. Feeding probably won't hurt them and might help them build up faster. Just keep an eye out for problems like hive beetles.

I'd suggest adding your locale to you profile, so people in your area/state can give specific information.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's always great to catch a big swarm. That is, unless it came from your own hive.
Congratulations and enjoy your new venture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts