Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started beekeeping early june. Everything was hunky dory until last week after I returned from a two week vacation and found I was queenless. No queen emerged and now my hive is empty. Tried to upload pic, but suspect I have limited privileges since I am new. I am so sad :(

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

Odds are that your photo upload failed because your photo is oversize. Resize the image to 800x800 pixels or less (also no more than 195Kb file size) and try again.

While it doesn't help you now, starting with at least two hives is a good plan. With two hives, it is possible to borrow resources from one to solve a problem with the other. Adding a frame of eggs/young brood may have allowed the bees to raise a new queen if they didn't have any eggs/young larva of their own.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Welcome.
Two weeks would be pretty quick to have a hive die out from a queen loss. it sounds as though something else is involved

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Sorry to hear about the lost hive. Welcome to BeeSource! You'll find a lot of info here. Hope you get a resolution from your supplier.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Im like the rest. Queen loss would take longer than 2 weeks, they would have had to finish hatching what she had laid, old bees die off naturally, probably go laying worker, all before they demised, just a guess but it sounds like there was another issue. Keep your Chin Up. Don't give up. Thats why alot of people recommend starting with 2 hives. Try again, you will be successful. The good times are far more than the bad once you get rolling. G

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
I'm not sure I understand where the "two weeks" came from.

If the hive was started the first week of June ("early June") and collapsed last week, that is about 5 weeks. It would be nice if the package supplier offered a fix, but at 5 weeks (now 6) I suspect that may not happen.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome to Beesource Kathy. I'm sure sorry to hear what happened. I started this year with three packages. One had a dead queen that my supplier replaced, but those bees absconded a few days later, leaving me with two initially. I hope you can get some remedy from your supplier, but try again whether you do or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to Beesource Kathy. I'm sure sorry to hear what happened. I started this year with three packages. One had a dead queen that my supplier replaced, but those bees absconded a few days later, leaving me with two initially. I hope you can get some remedy from your supplier, but try again whether you do or not.
Thanks all for your support. Nice to know I'm not the first person to have this happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts