Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Hives
118 Posts
I had just ordered a VIVO 8 frame extractor from amazon when I saw your post. I started looking into Hilco Enduro Honey Extractor - 6 Frame Electric. Seems to be better materials, motor, better warranty, etc. I canceled the VIVO and got the Hilco. The Hilco was about $220 more so I hope it's worth it. We can compare notes sometime.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had just ordered a VIVO 8 frame extractor from amazon when I saw your post. I started looking into Hilco Enduro Honey Extractor - 6 Frame Electric. Seems to be better materials, motor, better warranty, etc. I canceled the VIVO and got the Hilco. The Hilco was about $220 more so I hope it's worth it. We can compare notes sometime.
I am hoping to upgrade from a hand crank extractor this year. I too have bee looking at the extractors on Amazon and eBay, but this one has piqued my interest.

I look forward to hearing from you both after you receive yours.

·
Registered
4 Hives
118 Posts

·
Registered
4 Hives
118 Posts
It looks like my extractor is scheduled for delivery by 7pm 14July2022. Ordered on 5July; shipped on 11July. Better than I expected. Weather looks awful for the next two weeks. Rain/Thunderstorms AND ~90F at the same time lol.

·
Registered
4 Hives
118 Posts
Extractor came in today on time. The box was a little beat up but there was no damage that I can tell. I didn't have much time to do anything but take it out of the box and check it over. Should be able to get the legs on and give it at least a test spin tomorrow.

Shipping box Wood Packing materials Gas Carton
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Hood
White Green Yellow Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Botany Sculpture Grass Art Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
794 Posts
Is the basket plastic? If so, are you concern about it's strength and longevity?

·
Registered
4 Hives
118 Posts
Is the basket plastic? If so, are you concern about it's strength and longevity?
I didn't realize it was plastic until you mentioned it. Not really sure what to think about it now. I guess I;ll get to see how good the three year warranty is. The three arms that radiate from the center are semi hollow. Seems like cleaning will be a pain.

Wood Musical instrument Space Plywood Machine

Sorry to old drone57. I don't mean to spam your topic with my stuff.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The SAF extractors (general highly rated) use a virtually identical resin spool/basket setup.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I looked at extractors online, and it seems as though there is deflation in the extractor pricing. This is unlike anything else.....what else is getting cheaper? Certainly not bee boxes and frames or shipping or.....................well the price of gas is down last week. :rolleyes: Seriously, were I in the market for an extractor I would be looking for one that is all metal and mostly stainless steel. I've also heard from one vendor of cheap extractors that parts were unavailable for that imported model. So, as with everything else, it's buyer beware when making your purchase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got mine in and ran 150lbs of honey through it. I love it. The thing is really quiet. It did have a couple of dents
compliments of of ups. I called john at Hilco and he was going to send out another one but I told him I would
see if I could take care of it. They both popped right out so I was happy and so was he. All in all he seems to be
very nice. I really like the extractor. Almost every bit of the honey drains out without tilting the machine as the back
is about an inch higher and the drain is lower than the bottom. As far as the basket I think it looks very sturdy.

·
Registered
4 Hives
118 Posts
I got mine in and ran 150lbs of honey through it. I love it. The thing is really quiet. It did have a couple of dents
compliments of of ups. I called john at Hilco and he was going to send out another one but I told him I would
see if I could take care of it. They both popped right out so I was happy and so was he. All in all he seems to be
very nice. I really like the extractor. Almost every bit of the honey drains out without tilting the machine as the back
is about an inch higher and the drain is lower than the bottom. As far as the basket I think it looks very sturdy.
Good to hear. I used my extractor this weekend also but at a much lower volume of honey. Had no issues and the clean up was pretty easy.

·
Registered
2 then 4, now 11 hives- all doing well, thanks to a lot of help and resilient bees!
690 Posts
Thanks for the reviews and the photos. I'm having an ongoing discussion with a local beekeeper about these units, and his big gripe is about the plastic frame spool.

I would like to hear more about how balanced it is, and how it is to clean. It seems like you would have to reach your hand in and spray upward under those arms to get it clean and to avoid spots that could hold mold. But do the bottoms of the lower arms have those hollow spots, too? Those might be hard to get to.

This year, I took the advice of opening up the extractor and letting the bees clean it out. WOW, they did an amazing job. Looks like I washed it with soap and hot water. I sanitize with a bleach mixture and let it air dry before service, but boy that saves some work. I'm guessing this method will be helpful if I get the Hillco. Thanks again.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks for the reviews and the photos. I'm having an ongoing discussion with a local beekeeper about these units, and his big gripe is about the plastic frame spool.

I would like to hear more about how balanced it is, and how it is to clean. It seems like you would have to reach your hand in and spray upward under those arms to get it clean and to avoid spots that could hold mold. But do the bottoms of the lower arms have those hollow spots, too? Those might be hard to get to.

This year, I took the advice of opening up the extractor and letting the bees clean it out. WOW, they did an amazing job. Looks like I washed it with soap and hot water. I sanitize with a bleach mixture and let it air dry before service, but boy that saves some work. I'm guessing this method will be helpful if I get the Hillco. Thanks again.
I too was worried about the plastic spool, but I am over it now.

It is perfectly balanced, and seems plenty rugged.

For cleaning, I removed the motor assembly from the drum, and lifted the spool out, and sprayed it down. The hollow spots are a non-issue, arguably easier than dealing with a welded wire cage.

This year, for the first time, I did not let the bees clean mine up. It seemed like I was helping the yellow jackets more than the bees by doing that.

I am happy with the unit.

·
Registered
2 then 4, now 11 hives- all doing well, thanks to a lot of help and resilient bees!
690 Posts
Thank you for that info. I will pass that info on to others who questioned the plastic spool and clean-up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I hadn't been on here for a while. As stated above the unit is perfectly balanced.
Like any other when you put frames in it THEY are not balanced. The rack is rugged
enough form anything. Best money I have spent in a while. Remove two bolts ,pull the
cage and wash it out> Piece of cake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts