Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most frustrating parts of being new to this has been keeping my smoker lit. Honestly I thought it was me not taking the proper time to pack it right. And then my new smoker from Dadant arrived. I only have 5 hives but one is more aggressive than the others so smoke delivered at just the right time makes all the difference and that hive responds just like the rest.

So I bought the tall has everything model that people here recommend. I live in the forest and I’m surrounded by fuels for this thing. I like the height for the materials I put in it. Holy cow. I’m ready to propose marriage to it. Lights easy and stays lit. If I leave it for a few minutes it engages easily again after using the bellows. Honestly, do yourself a favor and get a good one. Don’t put up with anything that doesn’t perform. Ready to drive over my old one like Michael Palmer did. Twice.

The only hard part was getting it delivered. It’s popular and you have to call to see if its on backorder. The main location has it in stock but if you live on the west coast they like you to call the California branch where its on backorder. After two weeks of waiting I called the main branch and they sent it from there instead. I like Dadant but they have some inventory fulfillment issues. Worth the wait though!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Love mine too, even after two years!!

I don't want to put a new bellows on it because the thing looks like it's been in a war, and a new bellows would ruin the look!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can totally relate to getting a smoker that works! For years we struggled keeping our smoker lit. We always thought it was the fuel performing poorly.
I decided to replace the bellow on it and WOW! It lights so quickly and smokes so easily. No relighting is necessary (with any of our fuel types).
I LOVE IT!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
We have three of the large ones. 1 for Laurel, 1 for me, and 1 designated for treatments only. That way if it gets any thymol, OA, or anything on it we aren't needing to use it with bare hands. They are excellent smokers. We linseed oil the bellows yearly and yes watch out for the nuts backing out on a new smoker. My original Dadant was purchased used 17 years ago and is still is my go to smoker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts