Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a first year beek and acting like a kid in a video game store :D (not me on video games just the times) I couldn't hardly stand not looking at my bee's every other day. I did well but it was hard. First looked 3 days after installing package, then 8 days, then 11, then 7 and today which was 8 days. So I decided to take care of that issue by building a top box that I can feed in, has a top entrance, used as inter cover, vent box, can be used as a quilt box and observation from the top. It uses 3/16" Lexan for the inter cover and observation part. Before putting it on I covered the bee side of the Lexan with plastic pallet wrap that I use when shipping pallets. Its thin and sticks well to the Lexan. Now if the bee's coat it I can just take off the plastic and renew and back in business. The top entrance is a bit big, so to correct that I'm going to mount a landing board above the the hole and bring it down to where I only have a 3/8" opening. The paint is drying and I will screw it on in the morning before they are out in force. The observation portion has a Masonite cover that will go over it when I put the telescoping cover back on. I can also make a cover to go over the jar feeding area if I think I need to. As for feeding it will fit 2 1 quart jars, if I what to feed pollen substitute I can pull one of the jars and press it through the screen that I have in a mason jar lid that I will use for when wanting to ventilate. The top entrance is under the board stripe that goes across the box, bee's cannot get out into the observation area.

Greg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts