Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a package 4 weeks ago. Doing really well. Queen is a good layer so far. I got word from others who received packages from same supplier that I should treat for mites. Don't know what treatment they used. I have Formic Pro and an oav wand. What do you folks suggest?

Also, it appears it's time to add an additional box. I like a crowded hive but it's starting to get REALLY crowded.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Hi Bob. I am sure you have mites, but do you have enough to worry about? The only way to know, especially if you are new, is to do a mite wash. If necessary, both formic and OAV are good treatments if done properly. But, you don't want to do a formic treatment in one crowded box. How many frames are drawn? If 80%, its time to add a box. If you are at treatment level already, I would choose a series of OAV. Formic can be very harsh, especially in a confined space with lots of bees. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but not sure if its recommended with just one box on. J

·
Registered
550 Posts
Highest proof booze you've got! Or a sugar roll if you are willing the be slightly less accurate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fivej,

Thanks for the input. I just added a second deep as the lower box was REALLY full. I did wait a little longer than usual to add a second deep as it has been pretty chilly and rainy here in No. Illinois. I did call Formic-Pro and talked to them about using formic on a new hive. They suggested what you did but I wanted some input from actual field experience. Thanks. I have not done an alcohol wash as I didn't want to sacrifice the bees from a new hive. I will do a sugar shake just to get an idea.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Installed a package 4 weeks ago. Doing really well. Queen is a good layer so far. I got word from others who received packages from same supplier that I should treat for mites. Don't know what treatment they used. I have Formic Pro and an oav wand. What do you folks suggest?

Also, it appears it's time to add an additional box. I like a crowded hive but it's starting to get REALLY crowded.
Fivej,

Thanks for the input. I just added a second deep as the lower box was REALLY full. I did wait a little longer than usual to add a second deep as it has been pretty chilly and rainy here in No. Illinois. I did call Formic-Pro and talked to them about using formic on a new hive. They suggested what you did but I wanted some input from actual field experience. Thanks. I have not done an alcohol wash as I didn't want to sacrifice the bees from a new hive. I will do a sugar shake just to get an idea.
You could do a single OA vaporization and see what the mite drop is; that will kill no bees. If the numbers are high and they are brooding full bore, OAV is not the best way to get high numbers down. Having them in two boxes will be much safer. You may soon be getting temperatures on the high side for formic, wont you?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had mixed results with OAV. That is my second option. I did a full treatment series last fall with OAV and still lost a hive due to mites. This coming weekend may hit 80, so getting close to the top end for formic.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
ALternate method: Use a bottom screen board with a sticky insert. OAV and count the dead drop. Unfortunately this time of year is not very effective as the Varroa head for the larva pretty quick leaving few Varroa exposed to anything. If you get what I call a significant Dead Drop Count like 25 you know you are in trouble for this time of year - unless there is no brood. Then you cleaning out the hive. I am not a fan of alcohol wash methods.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,884 Posts
The OP said he did a full treatment of OAV and still lost a hive. Now he does not consider OAV as primary means of controlling mites. What was the full treatment?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello all, Busy day. Just getting to the forum.

Late last August/early September I did an OAV treatment. 5 treatments 5 days apart. By mid November I had already lost a hive. Sent a sample to Bethesda and came back mites. There is another bee keep. just a short distance away who does nothing but buy bees every year and kill them because he doesn't treat. After a short conversation and helping him with an inspection, I found he is oblivious. So that may have been a factor. He decided to save his money this year and not get another package of bees.

This new hive is doing really well. I know there is no magic bullet but I was curious about formic as a way to get an early jump on the mites, no matter where there are. I'll do an oav treatment and see what the mite drop is. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Late last August/early September I did an OAV treatment. 5 treatments 5 days apart. By mid November I had already lost a hive. Sent a sample to Bethesda and came back mites. There is another bee keep. just a short distance away who does nothing but buy bees every year and kill them because he doesn't treat. After a short conversation and helping him with an inspection, I found he is oblivious. So that may have been a factor. He decided to save his money this year and not get another package of bees.

This new hive is doing really well. I know there is no magic bullet but I was curious about formic as a way to get an early jump on the mites, no matter where there are. I'll do an oav treatment and see what the mite drop is. Thanks for all the input.
Your hive probably got mite bombed constantly. If he never treated it was probably weak and your bees continually robbed it taking new mites away every time, poor hive probably never had a chance. I have neighbors that didn't treat and I chased mites all winter even though I did Formic Pro in July/October and OAV Nov-Dec. Finally got them. I use a screened bottom board and check throughout the spring/summer. One mite every few days/weeks I do nothing. 1 or more a day gets more attention.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,053 Posts

Bob,
IMO you started the OAV a bit late. I had some of the same issues. At some point you have a dead hive walking, the treatment maybe did not fail, the timing of it may have been late. I concur with the advice about giving an OAV and counting the drop. Zero means one thing and as suggested 25 means another. I am thinking late july would be the time for the 5 treatments followed in late sept with a "check up" 1 treatment to confirm zero.

GG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts