Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Our hive started a week ago from a nuc with 4 frames. There was quite a bit of wax/propolis on the frames and it took a little digging to get them out. Needless to say, they did not fit tightly together in my hive box as I did not want to squish bees by trying to force the frames to fit more tightly. So now, after 7 days they have begun building burr comb between some of the frames and are ignoring the empty frames. Should I leave them alone or try to clean things up???? :s

·
Registered
185 Posts
If properly made, frames should be touching each other creating the proper bee space....anything larger gets bridged or filled. Clean it now with less effort or later with a lot more effort! Thats how i have been instructed and seen!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Mike is correct, deal with the problem now rather than later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. What time of day is best for this kind of activity? How long should I plan to spend - as long as it takes in one sitting, or break it up over a few visits? I haven't tried taking any frames out - is it likely to be built up near the bottom as well?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
it should not take you too long.....scrape and go. I'd do it mid day when everyones foraging. It does not take long...Pull the outter frames out so you can spread them apart...just do it slow so you can see what kind of damage you are doing, and maybe you can get your hive tool and cut some apart as you go....I learned my lessons too..LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks devdog108! I'll do it today after it stops raining and warms up some. And I'll try to squeeze in another frame if it looks like it won't crush any bees/brood/comb. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
more than 1 person around here runs 9 (or even less) number of frames in a 10 frame box, but the foundation already has to be drawn. You don't want to space the frames apart, you want equal distances between your outside frames and the box, with the frames tight against each other (unless you're using follower boards).

Don't worry too much about bee-squishin' - it'll happen, just work slow and feel like you know what you're doing & give them time to get out of the way - what more can you do except pay the price for letting them run the place & create a mess you will regret?

·
Registered
219 Posts
considently enough I was going to post the very same question as I am having the very same problem. Only difference I had 10 frames and properly spaced, but the bees chose to build their own comb up the middle, bonding it to the frames on either side, any clue why? and they are working on drawing comb on the other frames just fine, They just got a little wild in the middle.

·
Registered
717 Posts
What do I know - bees will be bees. I would just keep separating the offending 2 frames with another 1 or 2 brood frames & try and break the pattern, but I'm not a big fan, or have the experience to do much manipulation - especially on a new hive. Did that last year and it just seem to set them back.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Leave them ALONE until they are strong enough to be put into a 10 frame box. That would be when all the frames are full of brood and most of the bees are bearding. Messing with the comb right now just sets the colony back a lot.
The bees can live with it so you should as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts