Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my first 15 Nuc's yesterday AM. They were confined to the Nuc with 1/8" hardware cloth for 8 hours or so.

I queened them this AM after it warmed up to 45 F following a night time low of 27 F.

There are lots of streaks of poop all over the covers and stains on my jacket where they landed to visit.

Should I be concerned?? Should I order Fumadil ASAP?

I am just bringing out their first feed in an hour or so. (HFCS)

There are a dozen or more dead bees in front of each Nuc as well as some larval stage bodies (still white).

Advise??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There's a difference between Dysentary and Nosema disease. Iv'e never used Fumidal but probably would in your case. It won't hurt and it may help. What were the bees feeding on before you got them? A case of bad feed would do this. Something fermented, maybe? Bad pollen patty? I've heard that fresh pollen often clears up this kind of problem. If this is a beginning, it's with a bang. Lots of luck.

Dickm

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
If these nucs shipped from a distant supplier to a place where you picked them up, they may have been confined longer period than 8 hours, and needing a bathroom break. Hive them into standard equipment to give the broodnest room to expand and place them in a sunny location. As Dick already mentioned, I suspect it will clear up as pollen is brought in. The larva may be there from the bees cleaning out broken cells or damaged brood when the nucs were made up.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

They were from a commercial beekeeper. They have been fed HFCS from a good source.

I bought frames of brood and we put them in my boxes. Total confinement was 8 to 10 hours at most.

I will order the fumadil as I had intended to do so.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Just because it's from a commercial beekeeper doesn't mean the HFCS was "good." I saw a couple of totes of chocolate suryp ready to feed to bees in Fl. I'll never buy nucs again. There's too much potential for problems.

Dickm

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought 50 gallons of the syrup and have tasted it. It in not sour and smells fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmmm. Let's see. If somebody ripped me out of my familiar home, away from most of my family, imprisoned me in an itty bitty box and carried me away somewhere and then stuck a new "mother" in with me, I think I might be stressed and get diarrhea too. :0/

FWIW--My packages both had diarrhea when they arrived--and had been shaken out of their hives only 12 hours before, and transported in good temps in a customized van. It got better in two or three days. Several mentors suggested it was stress in my case, and they turned out to be correct. Don't know if this might apply to your nucs or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts