Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 Reasons you need a hive scale

Hive scale data can supply so much information. Learn in 1 year, what normally takes years to learn through traditional observation. From reading how the weight changes week to week, we can learn what is happening in the hive without having to open it.

Follow our blog through this link

http://www.foxhoundbeecompany.com/beekeepingblog/2015/9/19/hive-scale-for-bees

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
There are several errors in your blog post (re organic honey) which make it less than useful as a reference.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Adam, with all due respect, it isn't my job to fact check your blog.
You've posted a link to information that is not accurate.
I'm more inclined to contribute to a discussion that takes place on Beesource than I am to proof someone's information and copy from their commercial site.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
To begin with, the USDA doesn't certify organic anything. The USDA grants license to certifying agencies (companies). This is just the beginning...your post will not impress a knowledgeable customer.

The most comprehensive info in one place that I know of is here:
https://vimeo.com/10211570

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Dean-
I skipped through, but still watched a fair amount of the video. Really interesting and hadn't run across that before. The biggest thing I gathered was that bees are included in the livestock category. It doesn't seem like they should really belong there, but it seems like organic certifiers are trying to shoehorn apiculture into some category and livestock is the closest thing. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the USDA never incorporated any of the policies Stan was talking about. Even 5+ years later, organic honey is still in the same place without any real progression.

The USDA is the figure head of the US organic certification. Every US organic label says two words, Organic and USDA. For the sake of keeping it simple and approachable for the average consumer, I wrote USDA.

This is just the beginning...your post will not impress a knowledgeable customer.
Easy on the rock throwing, its not necessary and it's rude. We are all here to learn and share what we know about bees.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts