Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I'll mention this for new beekeepers to this site for something along the lines of a "public annoucement".

Order as many of the bee magazines as you like. They are free. Dadant, mannlake, kelly, betterbee, brushy mountain are but a few.

Everytime I see an item on ebay, thats starts with an asking price above the new mag prices, is bothers me. There are 100 queen cages with an opening (asking) bid of 15.95, and Kelly lists them at 15.00 And the shipping price of 9.00(ebay) does not come close to any shipping charges posted in any zone by Kelly's for that item. And yes someone bid on them.

I am a beleiver that most would like to keep as much money for themselves, and outside of some charities, may have better things to spend extra disposable income on. Like more bee stuff, or something for the kids, etc.

For those who do like to pay a "premium" above listed new prices in the mags, please contact me. I have almost any bee equipment you may need. Most new, or gently used. And will gladly sell at something along the lines of 25% markup from the mag prices.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bjorn- Once upon a time, Ebay was a good buyers' market. Unfortunately, it has now moved into the realm of the sellers' market.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I agree with East........ I have been dealing on ebay since 1999 and what a change.

I sell a few things as it is a buyers market for the most part.

There are still great deals and more importantly there are things I just can't easily locate anywhere else.

Shop carefully and do not get caught up in the "auction" mentality. Unless, of course, you are bidding on one of my items.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I put all of my catalogs together in a 3-ring binder. I was going to do a spreadsheet comparing the most-bought items so I could do a quick comparison. That's too much work. Anyway, you have to always figure the freight. I started to order some woodenware from Western Bee last year. Their customer service guy told me that the freight was going to kill me even though the item prices were cheaper. Ended up that the freight would cost more than the merchandise. Now I try to order from the less-widely promoted of the two NC-based suppliers and occasionally from the VA Dadant branch.

·
Registered
261 Posts
beegee- easy for me to say, as the Hamilton IL home base for dadant is only 2 hours away, but depending on how much you're ordering, sometimes it's worth it to just make the drive and pick it up.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
It's almost a crap shoot. I got my fifty boxes from Browning, very tight fit, few knots, good fit, hard wood. Got them all together, happy happy joy joy! OOps! Need more! I could get back in line for more or pick up some from Dadant at the bee meeting for the same price as Browning delivered, just sooner.

Now Dadant has the absolutly best tops and inners I've ever seen. (Made by a local) BUT. The finger joints on these forty boxes were the loosest I had seen yet, and the wood was real soft. :sad:

I guess when you KNOW where a good product is at for a price you can live with, stay loyal to that source and you will be happier.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Good advice, Bjornbee.
I was watching an extractor on e-bay. The description specifically mentioned the price of a new Dadant extractor of the same model. The used one sold for $38 above the new price!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
How about the carton of 5 shallow supers that just sold for $66+ dollars? Or the shallow frames that are priced at 15 for 10? Crazey, crazey, crazey. Oh by the way, there are some russian queens and packages listed if ayone's interested. Starting bid is $60 for 3# packages.

peggjam

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Bidders are absolutely insane sometimes..... I feel absolutly zero sympathy for these knuckle heads.

Real life auctions are the same for the most part. I was at one last week and Craftsman 6 pc wrench sets were going for $30 !! You can buy them on sale at Sears every other week for $19.99.........

·
Registered
971 Posts
PT BARNEM (?) "THERE IS A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE"

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
gfcg731......... I know what you mean. They also sell behive plans that you can get on this site.

Some of these sellers are pond scum and I know this is a "free market" society, but I would have no problem is ebay shut these guys down.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I used to be a big fan of eBay and visited religiously on a daily basis. Haven't visited the site not in over a year.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Beegee.....I placed an order this year, BUT I did just what you were talking about first. I made an excel spreadsheet with woodenware, foundation, etc. comparing the top vendors so I could see who had the best price. I would be willing to share it if someone else needed it.

Just email me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts