Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first beehive this time last year when a friend of mine purchased a house that had a beehive in the back yard. He asked me if I wanted the hive and my wife said "YES". So I had a beekeeper help me relocate the hive to my back yard. The hive was one 10 frame deep and one 10 frame medium. The lid for the hive was a combination of plastic political signs, cement board and a plastic cutting board all glued together by the bees. The hive also had carpenter ants going in and out. I purchased new hive boxes and moved the bees into the new boxes. The girl at the bee equipment supply house told me what to do. Ok so I killed half the bees but I had them in a brand new home. Looking back I should have put a new lid on the hive and let the chickens eat the carpenter ants.

I read everything I could, watched every bee video on the internet and joined a local bee club. I learned to make splits and catch and keep swarms. Every week I was purchasing new equipment. Now I have 9 hives.

To save money I just purchased a table saw and chop/miter saw. I am attempting to make my own equipment. I don't have any woodworking skills and am learning as fast as I can from videos and books. I now have a lot of scrap wood from my bad woodworking skills :(.

I live in South Florida so I don't have to winterize my hives. This fall and winter everything has been in bloom and I can smell nectar around my hives. I know I need to expand my hives so, I am trying to learn to build equipment as fast as I can.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a great start. You'll never stop learning but it sounds like you're up to it. Keep us posted on your adventures and problems.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts