Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new hive 6 days ago. How soon is it ok to check on them and remove the queen cage. The beekeeper I got them from said 15 days but I am not a patient woman. Is there any problem with checking them sooner?

·
Super Moderator
11,224 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rader, it has been 7 days and I have the day off so I really want to see what is going on. He said they might kill the queen if I go into it too soon but there are so many different opinions. I will be checking them today, thanks again!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey here is one I actually can add to. We did a split 4 days ago with bought queen, went into it today and she was released, we didn't even put a hole in the candy we wanted them to release slowly. She was out yesterday maybe even earlier, (we peeked through the inner cover hole) and they were nearly done then (2nd day).

Walt

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you jammed your queen cage in between the frames, expect some wild flap of comb there now. Be prepared to trim it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I installed my new hive 6 days ago. How soon is it ok to check on them and remove the queen cage. The beekeeper I got them from said 15 days but I am not a patient woman. Is there any problem with checking them sooner?
What is your sense of the temperament of the bees at the front of the hive? It's your intuition that develops along the question you asked that will answer it. A mentor would help, possibly. And the bees will help you take care of that "patience" thing :D
At seven days I checked and found that 75% of my queens were out of the QCs. The fourth of four bailed and headed to Disneyworld when I picked up the QC OOPS! No worries. Enjoy watching them handle their business. In the case of the fourth of four, I did a newspaper combine and have taken a refresher course in patience to avoid rushing the girls into unnecessary situations. Best wishes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doc, I am glad I checked them yeserday. Was so exciting. I had five frames in with the empty box. My queen is good, I could see the tiny little white eggs and three of the frames had comb drawn. I am feeding them. They are taking a 12ounce jar a day. I did see nectar and pollen in the cells. Didnt look for too long cause I was worried about leaving in open for too long. Next week I am going to check and also take a pic of each frame to study later. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Doc, I am glad I checked them yeserday. Was so exciting. I had five frames in with the empty box. My queen is good, I could see the tiny little white eggs and three of the frames had comb drawn. I am feeding them. They are taking a 12ounce jar a day. I did see nectar and pollen in the cells. Didnt look for too long cause I was worried about leaving in open for too long. Next week I am going to check and also take a pic of each frame to study later. Thanks for help.
Fun! I was showing my young'uns the cells filled with syrup this morning. It's my first year and it started with a 2.5 month delay, wherein we missed the major flows. Yippee! So now I'm the sugar king. Perhaps next year... Two of these three hives are taking the same amount as yours, and the (third)combo hive seems more interested in foraging than the syrup.
So I'm playing the patient game while green as all get out. I might not be proactive enough, so don't hesitate to prowl around the site and share info, please. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts