Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year beekeeper. I check my bees every two weeeks or so, had one today totally empty. I pulled all the frames and found moths and their larva at one end of the hive body. The bees are in an area that has pretty good food resources (river), plus I feed syrup and pollen patties. So they didn't starve. Eight weeks ago I added a second deep body they were doing so well.What might have happened? It is the second hive I have lost this week there. welcome any ideas or suggestions......
Thanks Ted

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Lots of pesticide use around you isn't there? I know that is an issue around Chowchilla. Was there any brood left in the hive? If not they became queenless and perished. They could have absconded.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was no brood just some pollen, not much though. What can I do to prevent? Treat? or what? remember just learning here, I dont speak bee yet. Abscombing, does that mean just abandoned? or driven out? There is some pesticide use, not sure which kind, various crops. Should I do anything special with these frames? Thanks again

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am sorry you are having problems. Sounds like a perfect storm kind of thing maybe. Where, unknown to you, something happens to the queen and the hive went into a temporary hiatus while they tired to generate a new queen and, thinking they were doing fine you added a new box. The bees were then not able to cover that box and the original box and the moths took over. I am only speculating but the point is that it might have been just such an unusual timing thing. I don't think ordinarily moths could take over a strong hive. So don't be discouraged.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Put everything from that hive an a freezer for 48 hrs. They chew the wood and lay eggs in crevices you can't see or get to. I didn't catch one in time one time,(so far). What a mess.
Good luck
Rick from SoMd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts