Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! We installed our 1st package on April 7th, queen was released by colony on or about the 10th.

No capped brood yet, and wondering if now is the time to treat with Apivar, it being early in Spring and all. Any advice on that? I have not used those strips before and don't want to mess up right out the gate. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Depending on where you buy your package, your bees may have been treated before the package was shaken. If you want to be sure about having a varroa treatment, and you have the Apivar, now would be the time to put it in the colony before there are any sealed brood cells.

It is a help in answering posts if where the poster is located is known. You should put what state you are keeping bees in, and often it helps if the part of the state is known. Beekeeping differs depending on location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on where you buy your package, your bees may have been treated before the package was shaken. If you want to be sure about having a varroa treatment, and you have the Apivar, now would be the time to put it in the colony before there are any sealed brood cells.

It is a help in answering posts if where the poster is located is known. You should put what state you are keeping bees in, and often it helps if the part of the state is known. Beekeeping differs depending on location.

Thank you for the reply! I am in N. Texas (Ft. Worth).

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Any manipulation of a new package is dangerous because the bees all too often blame the new stranger queen for someone tearing their world apart! That said, if you know where the center of the brood nest is and can quietly let the strip fall straight down to hang on a top bar AND you already have the strip I would put it in. But as a rule of thumb IMO never pull frames on a new package colony after finding the queen is released or after releasing her for a couple weeks. Just too dangerous for the queen/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.