Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a new beekeeper, just got my first bee package yesterday. My wife and I are looking forward to this whole bee thing, should be really symbiotic with the garden she is planting.

A question: yesterday when I was preparing to install the package, I was out on the porch getting ready to put the wax foundation in the frames for the hive body. I stepped away for a minute, and a big wind came along and blew the foundation off the porch, where it broke into lots of pieces. I figured I had to get the bees installed since I could see many were dying in the package. So what I did was install the package in a medium super (for which I had frames with foundation) instead of into the hive body.

I figured that once they fill up the medium super, I'll install the hive body over it after ordering new foundation. Is this OK? Am I setting myself up for any disasters by doing this?

Thanks for any advice.

Joe

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello and welcome!

It is no problem usng the medium. Your plan sounds solid.
You will find that three mediums equals two deeps. Some use all mediums to reduce the weight as well as only having one size hive body on hand.
You may have a look at this link http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

Good Luck with your new bees and enjoy!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Welcome, the 24 splits we made at the last workshop were mediums. You can put your deep over the medium when you get foundation. Be careful it is brittle when cold. Most suppliers ship it at the buyer's risk when it is cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts