Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! We're about to get our first two hives set up. We're new homesteaders and started with chickens first, then my husband wanted to get bees. I'm a researchaholic and feel like he hasn't given me enough time to figure *everything* out first! Bees seem much more complicated than chickens. I look forward to learning a lot here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome. There are plenty of good books and internet sites, including this one. I say this without intending any slight to others: I would suggest starting with Michael Bush's site at Bushfarms and Randy Oliver's at Scientific Beekeeping. I hope you will also check the Virginia Beekeepers Association site and join your local bee club.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome from a BEEK in Virginia Beach. These "dumb bugs" are a lot of fun and generally sparter than thier keeper (me). Welcome to the hobby, take care

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have read almost all of Michael Bush's website (which added to my feelings that bees are complicated!) I'm currently also reading Natural Beekeeping and heading to the library tomorrow to see what they have.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome! It is said that the best beekeepers are the bees themselves. They know how its done and would probably like us to leave em alone anyway, if they could talk. So pick a good spot, set em up a nice box, and get em started, and they will teach you a lot of what you're nervous about. They're a blast to watch and what you miss, you can ask here. They'll do most of the work, while you read and learn. Welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts