Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just got signed up! Been browsing around along time before now but anyways, almond pollination is over and I’m curious what treatment you all would recommend for mites. I was looking at formic pro. I’m sure there are a thousand different options but I figure it never hurts to ask. I have 23 hives and I’ll be splitting here soon. Probably first of April sometime.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I love formic but over here in the Northeast, I use it in late summer. Knocks the S out of the mites but in your case, you may be up against two issues. First, if your planning on splitting in what is roughly a week and a half-no way on formic, It will shut down any brood and probably kill new queens. It's harsh and a great way to deal with (in my area) any late season mite bombs. Second, while I assuming your climate, you pretty much need to be below 85 degrees for it to work right, higher temps cause accelerated off gassing and that's not good. In closing, with your intent to split, I'd either do OAV treatments- 4 or 5 over a month or if you're not opposed to it, Apivar strips. I have my concerns with the chemical composition of Apivar (stand to be corrected) and the potential for Varro to become resistant to it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
751 Posts
2nd on OAV series every 3 days. OAV is easier on the bees. Every 3 days to be sure to interrupt the foundress mite from moving into new brood. A single OAV dissipates after 3 days so it's great as a flash treatment but not long term. That's why a series is necessary over 21 days. Apologies if you know all of this. You're new here so I'm trying to not assume you already know. By the way- welcome.

I like Apivar (effective, easy, not temp sensitive and gets under cappings). Hearing some folks got an outdated product last year due to an inventory shortage. I'm personally doing Apivar this spring (checking the packaging first) then OAV series in August, fall and one winter solstice. I really like Apivar and OAV used together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great information! Thank you very much. So yea I started with 28 colonies in spring of 2020, 3# packages. Pollinated sunflowers, did a mite wash on 80% of my colonies, treated with apivar strips and brought my numbers to zero pretty much across the board. Then I did another mite wash end of august and had a mite bomb and panicked to be honest and used apivar again witch I know is a no no and I won’t do that again due to the fact I don’t want them to become resistant, so yes I’m learning from you all and from some people around me locally. I don’t have a OAV system yet. I’m just giving you all a background of what I have and don’t have. Once again thank you!

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Not sure where in CA you are but keep in mind most of CA's cycle is opposite of most keepers in the North. I obviously don't get snow and my bloom starts in November witth our flow hitting in January. As such, you need to adjust your practices as such. I treat when the dearth starts in July, hitting them with OAV every 3 days as mentioned. I then treat again in December just before the flow. Although I can knock down 99% of the mites in July, since the dearth is so bad they are likely out robbing weaker colonies in the area causing some mite bombs. I'll do some random checks through the summer to make sure they stay low.

Unless you'rein the Sierras you're likely in the same boat as I am so make sure you're treating at the right time - which is just as important as what you're using.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Definitely a bee haven up there. I think most of the west coast suppliers all reside in that area for that reason - OHB, Koehnen, etc.

Considering you just had almonds up there, with a whole lot of out of state bees, I'd definitely get on your mite treatments. With 23 hives, OAV is the cheapest and easiest, but does take the most amount of time. I use a band vaporizer and it only takes me about 45 seconds per hive, so definitely a time saver.

And I'm in Santa Cruz...so most would consider that northern?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Funny I was just in your area a few days ago, yea everwhere you turn up here there’s another beekeeper. Thanks for the info!
Our quaint little town becomes quite the attraction, especially on warmer days. It's gotten so bad recently that locals just stay home and do everything on the weekdays. You can barely get to the grocery store on a weekend with all the traffic and lost tourists. It's a beautiful area though, so can't blame those wanting to visit it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts