Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

new beekeeper - equalizing colonies

712 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Vance G
Hey all....new beekeeper here.....I have 1 package of bees a month old and 3 nucs. One of the nucs has almost filled all 8 frames .... however the package girls have only about 3 frames with eggs, larva and capped brood. Should I take several frames with eggs, larva and capped brood from the strong nuc and put in the weaker colony or should I put a super on the strong nuc? I don't have drawn comb for the super, just foundation.
Hey all....new beekeeper here.....I have 1 package of bees a month old and 3 nucs. One of the nucs has almost filled all 8 frames .... however the package girls have only about 3 frames with eggs, larva and capped brood. Should I take several frames with eggs, larva and capped brood from the strong nuc and put in the weaker colony or should I put a super on the strong nuc? I don't have drawn comb for the super, just foundation.
See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Give the strong nuc a super or another box to fill out. If you don't the nuc will swarm, just like mine did because of my neglect. ( I caught the swarm and hived them and they boomed again). I would leave the package to do it own thing. I had something similar happen with a swarm I caught, so I left it and a couple weeks later they were overcrowded so I moved them a 10 frame box which I later gave to a friend. Hope all goes well. Just for further threads add some pics if you can so we can see the situation better and perhaps point something out that you might have missed.

Mr. Buzzy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.