Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, June 28, 2014 and hot as blazes in Southeast Georgia near Brunswick. New to Beesource and first year beekeeper here. Are there any other beeks in the area? My hives are doing well and may make some honey. Was thinking about moving some of the hives to the Satilla River, but there are so many bears I've seen out there that I'm afraid they will ruin the hives. Has anyone had experience with bears and ways to keep them from raiding hives?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I live in Montana. We have bears aplenty. I use electric fence around my hives. I know others that do also. About two feet off the ground and far enough away from the hives that the bear can't reach in and grab them. I actually use two strands... one for bears (18-24") and one for horses (Between belly button and chest height).

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

We have lots of threads about keeping bears away from hives. The most common solution is an electric fence. Another option is a chain-link enclosure with a chain-link top (similar to so-called 'dog lots').

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. That's what I'll try. I figured I would need to do that to keep the raccoons out along with the bears. There are plenty of both here. A lot of bears were displaced a few years ago when the Okefenokee Swamp nearby caught on fire and burned for months. DNR in Georgia has had to relocate a lot of them because they found their way into towns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts