Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new package on Wed. evening and everything went great. The questions I have are probably stupid but here goes:

1. I peeked today to see if the queen was released and she wasn't. How long can it take for them to release her ? and when should I start to get worried ?

2. I was watching the hive today also for about an hour and just saw one bee bringing in pollen. If they are bringing in pollen does it mean they are drawing out the comb ? and should they be more pollen coming in ?

This is might first time doing this so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Rule of thumb is to give them 5 days. Remember, the queen and the bees first met each other when they were packaged. If she's released too soon, they may kill her as a stranger. Now, after 5 days, if she isn't released, you have two options.
1. If they're not balling the queen cage, simply release her.
2. If you're nervous about that, take a toothpick, poke a hole thru the candy, that will help them release her more quickly.

When I hive packages, I usually poke a toothpick hole thru the candy when I put the queen cage in the hive at the beginning. Speeds the process up a bit, but keeps her safe.
Be sure the candy end is angled up, so if something happens inside the queen cage, her exit isn't blocked... lilke a dead attendant (if you didn't remove them) or a piece of candy breaking off....
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
706 Posts
dont bug the new hive for 5 -7 days after that once every two weeeks. I know its hard to wait be wait you must. Also every time you open the hive it slows them down.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
SteveG and honeydreams have answered you first question.

To address your second question. Pollen us used to feed brood so they are preparing for that when the queen is released. If you installed them on all new foundation they will quickly start to draw out new comb. If you are starting them on new foundation 1:1 sugar syrup will aid them in kick starting the hive and is necessary if there is insufficient nectar available.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Be sure the candy end is angled up, so if something happens inside the queen cage, her exit isn't blocked... lilke a dead attendant (if you didn't remove them) or a piece of candy breaking off....
I've never experienced a dead attendant blocking the hole, but i HAVE had others experience runny candy that poured down onto the queen risking killing her (due to the candy end angled up). My cages go in horizontal with the cage side down

1 - 5 of 5 Posts