Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning.

I did my first hive inspection 12 days after installing a package. I installed a 3lb package in a 10 frame box. (Wood frames with plastic foundation). After 12 days, bees had drawn out about 2.5 to 3 full frames. There was about 2 half frames with eggs and larva and 3+ half frames filled with nectar/sugar water, uncapped. All were in the center of the box.

My question is, is this normal? Will they expand the laying beyond those 2 frames? Will they skip the nectar stores or will they consume the nectar and then the queen lay in that drawn comb? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Totally normal. Sounds like your package is doing well. They'll expand beyond the 2 frames when the population supports it. They'll consume the nectar stores as they expand and use those cells for brood creating more nectar store cells further out. If they have a steady supply of nectar this will go smoothly. If they don't you can feed them, however I normally stop once the dandelions start blooming.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I assumed that was normal but needed a second opinion. I have a hivetop feeder on currently (no-drown FBM feeder).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A Little Help Please.... Quick new question..... Approximately how long should/could it take to draw out 80% of the frames? I'm using plastic foundation in wooden frames and located in North Carolina. I realize this could change between locations but looking for a generality. This is also a colony from a package. I realize that can slow things down as well.

Bee Honeybee Beehive Insect Apiary
Bee Honeybee Insect Beehive Membrane-winged insect

·
Registered
317 Posts
If a flow is on they will draw it out nicely and fairly quick. after the summer solstice it will come slowly if at all. My issue is if I make a split and they draw out queen cells on plastic I can't easily cut it off to put in another split, that why I like wax. But I bought a lot of plastic when I started. I don't hate it but on some splits they only draw cells on the plastic and not the wax. It's like the bees are taunting me

·
Vendor
5,331 Posts
My issue is if I make a split and they draw out queen cells on plastic I can't easily cut it off to put in another split, that why I like wax.
I just move the whole frame. I understand that's not what you want to do, but you make the best of what you have.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.