Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first cut out yesterday from an abandoned 1891 farmhouse (soon to be torn down), and came away with lots of lessons learned. Mostly from mistakes. I’m a new Bee keeper, with a single hive started from a swarm 35 days ago( doing great, almost done drawing out there second deep) . On the cut-cut was another new beek (no bees yet) and a long time Beek. I assumed before setting off on this adventure that the long timer had done one of these before, not the case. Talk about the blind leading the blind. I was only one with a full integral suit/veil. This turned out to be a must, much to their sorrow. The other new beek had a Tyvek painter suit and a square hat-less veil. The bees keep getting under the veil and stinger her in the face. The Tyvek was also very hot. The other guy just came with his veil and a heavy sweat shirt. He got hit at least 20 times. Needless to say, I ending up doing most of the close work. Our vac was less than ideal, more of a killer than anything else; I will be making my own before I hit this again. Termites had done lots of damage, so we had to tackle the hive from the top, which gets lots of debris in the comb. The hive was down on its luck and was queen-less with no brood. Several open queen cells, but they must not have worked. I did end up with 60-70 pounds of honey as the other two were to hot and sore to be bothered with it, just wanted to go home. The girl took the surviving bees and is going to try and get a frame of brood from a friend.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top