Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great find! This forum should be a wonderful resource. I have ordered 1 package but since have read that it is better to start with more than one.... I started a kickstarter to hopefully get some backing to do more. I am very excited but also a bit nervous. I went on a tour of a local apiary to be sure I had the nerve.. I have the perfect place to do it and did I mention I love honey : ) I look forward to getting advice from all of you. If you want to help me get started..you can adopt-a-bee... : )

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/873637402/new-bee-beekeeper-getting-busy-with-the-bees

·
Registered
685 Posts
It should be noted that a first year package with no access to drawn comb likely is not going to make any honey you can harvest this year. It could, but its rather unlikely.

And you can be successful with only one hive at the start, thats what I did, its just easier if you've got two.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I looked at your Kickstarted because I have thought about using the site to fund a mentorship program with the kids at my school. I am impressed you have already gotten some funding. I have to say I think you are being very ambitious for a first year beekeeper. I started with one hive and split it to two the second year. Bees are like the plants in your garden, they grow naturally over time and as you gain experience. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I started last year with two nuc's. I lost both this winter. Not due to bad bees just to cold. I am starting this year with five. All five should get a good start due to I have a lot of drawn comb from the dead hives I am splitting between all five. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts