Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Im hoping to learn alot and participate activley here on this forum. Im from Northfield Ma, which is right near the vermont, new hampshire border. Im a new bee keeper and just installed my first package on may 5th. I did my first inspection on friday and my queen is released and things are looking good so far! Im really excited to learn and observe these lovely ladies, and am excited to see what they can do for or huge lavender field at the farm i work with :0)

-Sara

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome...this is a great place to find like minded folks regarding our love for "the girls." Regarding lavender...I know the bees love to work what little bit is in my wifes herb garden. Best wishes!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Michae,

I'd suggest requeening the two laying worker hives-if you haven't already. There's a bee keeping supply house call Lagrant's not far from you . I don't think they sell queens but can get the names of some local sellers.

Also, both of you shoudl join a beekeeping association. If for no other reason than to find a mentor to help you get through the first hard years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck with your hives Michae! Its nice to be able to work with a mentor, Im pretty much diving in on my own and learning as i go. I intended on taking a class at warm colors but wasnt able to. I heard they are great to work with and know a few people that are associated with them.

and Beorn, thanks for the info on lagrants, Ive been ordering everything offline so its nice to know theres a supplier close by.

after 2nd in depth hive inspection i have 6 frames being drawn, a happy queen and lots of brood!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Sara, That's great news. I was at Warm Colors today asking Dan a few questions. He was very busy. He just came back from Georgia with a shipment of bees and everyone was picking up thier packages.

On my laying worker problem, Dan gave me some queen pheromone to place in the hive. He said thet commerical beeks use it with success in laying worker hives. When I got home, I placed it in the hive the way Dan instructed. I confirmed the queen was released and started to inspect to she if whe was accepted. To my elation, she was out and alive and well. She is not laying yet but it is still early for her in the hive. I did not see any eggs at all which was a great sign. I believe I rid myself of the laying workers and they accepted the queen.

Sorry to hijack.

Michael

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats great! I didnt know you could buy queen pheromone, in what sort of a form is it in and what exactly does it do for the colony (I understand that that it is the queens horomones, but by supplementing it, does she gain more or do the workers just frenzy on it?) ?

no need to apologize, this is interesting!!! good luck, hopefully next time in youll see some brood :0)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts