Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Oh Gwad, not Paul Stamets again. Personally, I would love for this to be a viable option, but nobody that I know of has picked this up and run with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I was hoping to get opinions on the test and results that were released not on the person who came up with the idea.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Not bashing the person. Curious though as to why something so simple as allowing the bees to self medicate is not being tested further. Not like reishi mushrooms are difficult to grow. Until additional research is done, I am filing it in the same file as Housel positioning. JM2C.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,561 Posts
Actually I was hoping to get opinions on the test and results that were released not on the person who came up with the idea.
So B.C. give it a try. Mushroom extracts are used for several healing issues. To me it seems like a medicine, if you want to try it, go for it.
let us know how it works.

GG

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,561 Posts
Not bashing the person. Curious though as to why something so simple as allowing the bees to self medicate is not being tested further. Not like reishi mushrooms are difficult to grow. Until additional research is done, I am filing it in the same file as Housel positioning. JM2C.
Why would anyone spend $$$ to understand how and why bees self medicate??
there is only a payback if you can find something you can sell.

GG

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I was at the British Columbia Honey Producers Annual General Meeting in Richmond a few years back, think it was 5 years ago, saw a presentation by Mr Stamets. It all sounded very promising, and there were some claims made regarding a potential product that would be available within a year. I've seen other writeups on this subject, and no matter what year it's from, always seems to promise a new product within a year.

I stopped holding my breath years ago.

·
Registered
397 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
My take on this whole discussion, without or without a product being developed, is a reminder of the precious balance of nature. I skimmed the research article and watched the video (from minute 21 - thanks for that tip!;), and my take-away message is. Trees, bears, mushrooms, mycelium water and bees? An awesome natural, living history to appreciate!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have heard that some of the university bee researchers are looking at mold /fungi that are toxic to mites and not bees. I think Dr. Samuel Ramsey mentioned this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guess it depends on where you live but I have heard of non-treated kept hives (read: not wild swarms) resulting in an increase in mite populations throughout regions; they create “mite bombs” and when the untreated hive starts to die the mites hitch a ride on drifting bees and plague the other hives in the area.

If you’re in the country and don’t have many other people I guess I’d say you do you; if you’re more urban and know there are other beeks around you, also consider them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts